12 - Broadway Express - Seventh Car - Grim

When the train stopped, he knew that they were done for. Unlike others that had become a tasty meal (he had seen forty five people bitten, die and then return to life, only to leave the car), he had hidden by loding himself under one of the subway cars seats, trying to make himself as small as possible. This wasn’t hard to do as he was only three food four inches tall.

            Go figure, he thought. Being a little person actually came in handy during a zombie apocalypse. Who would have thunk it.

            Because let’s face it, that’s what this is, he thought. That’s what all of this was. His car was deserted, but he knew three things: there were zombies still on board, there were other passengers and aim for the brain. Hey, countless zombie and horror films had to provide him some sort of an education right?

            He stood and moved towards the door to the sixth car when the subway train lurched to a stop. Well, no, he thought. That’s not quite true. The train did not lurch so much as come to an incredibly fast stop. The momentum threw him down the subway car and he slid along a pathway of blood.

            When the door to the sixth car opened, Grim screamed. He wasn’t proud of it and preferred not to think of himself as scared. Instead, he thought of himself as terrified. Thankfully, it wasn’t a zombie. It was a woman.

            “Help me, please, thank god you’re not one of them.” She had curling blond hair that hung down past her shoulders and wide blue eyes. “Please, you have to help me.”

            She led him into the sixth car and he saw the same signs of the carnage here. There was something different about this subway car though. There was a woman tied to one of the subway cars poles, its silver gleaming with red.

            “I couldn’t do it.” The woman said. “I couldn’t do what she asked me to do. So I tied her up instead.”

            “Why did you do that?”

            “Because she was bitten.”

            “I can hear both of you, you know. I may be dying but I’m not fucking dead yet.”

            Grim went to the woman, her pretty almond shaped eyes wide with fear, long straight black hair framing a soft oval face. “Sorry.” He said. “I meant no disrespect.”

            “None taken. Now since she’s too much of a chicken shit, how about you take the gun and put a bullet in my head?”

            “What’s your name?” He asked.

            “I’m Rhonda. The chicken shit girl here is Crystal.”

            “Well, pleased to meet you both. I’m Grim.”

            “That’s funny,” Rhonda said. “You don’t look as if you’re in a foul mood.”

            “Ha ha. As if I hadn’t heard that one before.” He said.

            “So are you going to shoot me?”

            “No.”

            “Why the fuck not? You think I want to be one of them?”

            “You won’t be.” He said.

            “How do you know?”

            “Because all the others I’ve seen have turned in minutes, seconds. Once they were bit, they ceased to exist. How long ago were you bitten?”

            “I don’t know, like twenty minutes ago or something?”

            “Then if you haven’t turned by now, you won’t.”

            Rhonda looked at him with eyes full of darkness. “Then how come I can feel

them?” She asked.