6 - Broadway Express - Second Car - Sarah

She tried to be a big girl, she tried to be a girl twice her age. She tried not to be afraid, but it was so hard. Her mother was squeezing her hand so hard that it hurt, the woman in front of them with the wild look in her eyes coming closer.

“Fuck,” she said. “Almost all of you have it too!” She came closer to them. “I can see clouds around almost all of you.” The woman turned to look at her. “Except for you two.”

“We don’t want any trouble.” Her mother said. “We just want to get off at the next station.”

The other woman laughed. “Haven’t you noticed that we haven’t stopped? That we haven’t stopped for a long time? I think it might be in the control car by now.”

“What? The man behind you?”

The woman shook her head. “It wasn’t a man. Well, it was a man, but not anymore. Now it’s something neither living nor dead. All of you in this car look like him, there’s a cloud of something around all of you, I can see it moving through the air. But not you two.” She motioned to her and her mother. “You two stick close to me.”

“Look, I don’t know who you think you are…” Her mother began.

“I don’t think, I know.” She smiled and the woman’s face looked less tired. “I’m Josie. Josie Jacobs. What are your names?”

“I’m Celine and this is my daughter Sarah.”

“Well, nice to meet you. I suggest you both get behind me.” Josie said, removing a gun from her purse.

“Why?” Her mother asked.

“Because we have a problem.”

When Sarah turned and looked, she did not know what she was seeing. Her mother gasped and pulled her close, behind the woman with the gun. Sarah looked at the other passengers. There had been five others on this car, she had counted when she got inside. She could count up past ten now. Three passengers looked at them with white, unblinking eyes.

“What’s going on?” Her mother asked. “What the fuck is going on here?”

Sarah whimpered. Her mother only swore when she was upset, or angry or really terrified. Looking at her mother and the palid complexion of her skin, Sarah figured on terrified. “I think I know what they are. What this is.”

“Well how about you tell us, since we’re in the dark.”

“Zombies.”

Her mother laughed, even as the three other passengers made shuffling movements towards them. “Do you know how ridiculous you sound?” Her mother asked. “There’s no such thing.”

Sarah wasn’t often one to disagree with her mother, but she disagreed with her here. As she was smaller, she had a better view of the floor. She saw the other two passengers (three plus two is five) on the floor, blood already spilling along the floor of the subway car.

“We have to destroy the brain.” Sarah said, looking up at her mother. “That’s the only way.”