Chapter One - Blaze The Doberman Pinscher

Blaze raced through the lit streets of Maine. The first few stars observed as he gave chase to the criminal scum.
Hot on his heels, Blaze locked his sights to the robber's flailing arm. Widening his sturdy jaws, he emitted a loud, menacing snarl.
Lunging, he clamped his jaws around the burglar's arm, his sharp canines sunk into warm flesh beneath ragged, old leather. Hot, sticky blood dripped into Blaze's mouth as the convict screeched before beginning to kick and batter him, but the Doberman refused to release his tight grasp.
Using all his force, Blaze dragged the dirty thief to the ground. Adam, the dog's partner, locked silver handcuffs tightly around his wrists. The canine finally freed his arm. 

Blaze wrinkled his nose at the stench of human blood around his chops; human flesh had a certain taste and smell to it that he hated.
Back aching from where he'd been beaten, Blaze held up his chin - though he was in pain, he was proud that he'd stopped the criminal from doing anything worse.
Patiently and intently, the police dog sat and watched as Adam, with two of his colleagues, practically threw the fresh prisoner into the Police van before slamming the door and watching his colleagues drive the van away. Returning to his dog, Adam smiled and took a sigh of pride.
"Good job boy," Adam took a bone-shaped biscuit out of the pocket on his black uniform and fed it to his four-legged partner. Blaze gently took it out of his hand and swallowed, barely even chewing the little treat; it tasted bland, like an over-cooked chicken with a slight tang of raw vegetables. Not exactly the best treats he'd been given in his life, but he was too tired and hungry to complain. "Come on Blazey, we've got one stop before home," and with that, he clipped a lead onto Blaze's black police harness and escorted him to a silver car nearby.
Blaze didn't bother trying to thank his owner for the compliments, the treat and closing the car door for him, he knew that Adam wouldn't understand. His throat was too dry to bark anyway, he just wanted to go home and flop in his bed before getting up to work again the next morning. Of course, before anything, he'd make time for his girl - Rose. Adam's daughter was the sweetest thing, she was five years old and the one thing Blaze cherished more than anything. He wouldn't know what to do with himself if he ever lost her. He felt the urge to protect her in all ways possible; if that meant getting rid of every convict in the whole of America to make sure she never gets hurt, then so-be-it. He wanted to make sure Rose had the longest, happiest, most fulfilling life, and he'd make sure that it happened no matter the cost. 

About twenty minutes after Adam had driven off, they arrived at a large building. It almost looked like a big, grey, abandoned warehouse. Once they entered, Adam started talking to the person working at the counter. While he was busy, Blaze spotted a bowl of water nearby, he trotted over and lapped at the clean liquid. The big warehouse was loud inside, the sound of howling and barking rung through each and every hallway. As Adam returned to Blaze and took off his lead, the dog followed his partner into one of the doorways that lead into a huge, long hallway. The walls inside were scattered with hundreds of cages.
Blaze knew why they were here.
A while ago, there had been a Dogo Argentino named Boss, he had been Marcus', Adam's brother's, dog. However, his brother had passed away due to lung cancer, and Boss had never been the same since. Adam had him living with Blaze's family for a while, but Boss was just getting worse by the day. One day, on a walk, he lunged at an elderly man with a child and without warning started snapping his jaws and snarling at them, scaring them to death! Fearing for little Rose, Adam's wife, Amanda, insisted they send Boss to a rehabilitation kennel to see if they can help him. Blaze and Boss had been best friends from pups, they were like brothers, and the Doberman could do nothing but feel sorry for his old friend.

As they plodded down the corridor, Blaze didn't dare to look into any of the other cages along the sidelines as he feared he might see dogs in ways he had never wished to see - besides, the sounds of the distressed growls and howls was already enough to unnerve the police dog.