1

Hanna

17 Jan 2018

Today was the first day of Junior Year. Exciting right?

Not.

Today is the beginning of a stressful year for this whole grade. I've already got stacks of assignments and projects in my bag. I already feel the pressure and stress weighing me down. I, being oh so brave, decided to take Physical Sciences and AP Mathematics as my core subjects. This decision that I made, literally haunts me.

Descending down the last step of Kendrick High School's staircase that led to the corridor exit, I caught up with my best friend Hal Kennedy. He and I met on the first day of Freshman year.

My mom decided to move me into a new school with new people, instead of going to the high school that all my middle school friends went to.

My first day was weird, I hadn't known anyone. We wrote Aptitude Tests and we got grouped into classes according to our intelligence. I was sent to the A class along with Hal. Which is where he sat, beside me. He was also new in this area. He had no friends as well. So he and i quickly became best friends (after we cried and spoke about how we missed middle school and our old friends of course).

So here we are, Junior Year. Closer than ever.

"Hey Hanna." He nudged me and pulled out his phone, scrolling through Facebook. Hal was the type of guy who always wanted to be popular. While I considered myself both popular and invisible. I dont like being in the limelight, but I want to be noticed at the same time. He on the other hand, was convinced that we were going to become popular this year. We walked out of the school gates and were greeted by the all too familiar tree that stood outside of our school. The warm air hitting our faces as we walked along the pathway, on our way to my Mom's school. She taught at Ridgeway Middle School on the other side of Kendrick Estate.

"Have you seen that post about Brittany and how she accused some group of girls at our school for bullying her? Oh my word, its all over Facebook. I dont get it though, she was the bully. She never got bullied." Hal laughed, and as he continued his conversation about Brittany the serpent, I blocked out everything including his voice, to focus on him. He usually walks in front of us every afternoon, afterschool. Along with his friends; Daniel, Malcolm, Carl, Reggie, Kevin and the slut of the town Monica.

I struggled to find him. All I looked for was a tall, tan skinned and brown haired boy. It wasn't even that difficult. I stood on my tippytoes once again, as I heard Hal's voice come to a stop.

"What are you doing Hanna?" He asked, concerned laced in his words. My eyebrows furrowed and just as I was about to ask him what was he going on about. I felt an embrace, his embrace as his scent filled my nostrils. I felt calm, it was a scent I had missed, a scent i haven't been in contact with for a while.

"Hey Hanna." He smiled down at me. My eyes widened and I pulled away, looking at Hal. Hal rolled his eyes and continued walking which made me look back at him and smile; "Hi. I have to go." I rushed, and turned away from him, striding big steps to catch up with Hal.

"What the hell is your problem Hal? I was clearly looking at you for help, why'd you leave me with him?" I hushed the last part, I knew he was behind us, so I held Hal's hand and kept him from walking so he could pass us. I kept my head down, letting my long dark locks cover my face out of embarrassment.

"He's gone." Hal whispered, which made me look up and continue walking with him to my Mom's school.

"What is going on with you two? Especially you? Are you catching feelings again? Need I remind you of the previous two years? How he broke your heart? Stop falling for it, because I'm the one who's always there taking care of his collateral damage. I dont trust him. I prefer Ian over any other guy you've been with. You want to go back to him, be my guest. But if you end up heartbroken again, dont come back crying to me." Hal's words spat out venom. I felt small and withdrawn. I knew what Hal was saying was right. It's just, I didn't want to listen. The heart wants what it wants. Nobody can understand that. Not even me. Because all I ever wanted was him

I loved him
I love Fabian Anderson.

Today was the beginning of a Chapter of my life, that I wish I never opened just yet.