12. The C.J Rules.

Jason enjoyed the uncomplicated fun with Nick.

After a blissful and undisturbed sleep, they spent the day together. At the end of the evening they said goodbye because Nick had to catch a flight to Milan.

"I know you can't come with me, but please stay as long as you like," he said with one last hug.

Reluctantly, Jason returned home on Monday. Karen was already busy preparing for the move.

"I swear to you. Only Duncan's study is already taking up a truck."

"You could just leave his stuff here, you know," Jason suggested. For once, he wasn't sarcastic when it came to his brother-in-law. "I really feel like you're leaving for good."

Karen brought him in for a hug. "This has always been my intention. Grandmother left the house to you."

"Yes, and I leave it to CJ. This house is part of the family." He sighed. "I really want you to return after Mom and Dad come home from their world tour."

She knocked him on the hand. "Luckily, we still have plenty of time talking about this."

"Did you talk to Conner this morning?"

"No," shook Jason. "He was already gone when I got home."

"I think he's having nightmares again." She hesitated. "I know it's not fair to ask, but could you keep an eye on him?"

Jason frowned. "You mean you don't want me to stay away for nights."

"Argh," Karen grimaced. "Okay, maybe not quite in those terms."

"I'm not a babysitter, Karen. You're moving out and leaving us behind. I have no idea if that's going to work." He sighed. "Even now we argue over every two words. You know he kissed me on Saturday?"

Karen's mouth fell open. "Tell me."

"He gave me a make up kiss. With explanation beforehand."

She frowned. "Oh, that doesn't sound promising."

Jason laughed. "Should I demonstrate the result to you?"

He leaned forward and kissed Karen the same way Conner had done to him.

"What kind of crappy make up kiss is that?", Karen exclaimed indignantly.

"Exactly what I said," Jason agreed. "You should have seen him. So satisfied with himself that he had kissed me."

Karen took him in thoughtfully. "Did it hurt your feelings? The way he responded?"

Jason hesitated. "Maybe you're right. I know Conner isn't really okay with my sexuality and it takes him effort to move around in my world." He sighed. "Nick was kind enough to remind me that I rub it under Conner's nose that I'm gay and get angry when he responds to that."

"Smart observation," Karen nodded. "Maybe you can give him the benefit of the doubt, Jason. He's years evolved from the person you found naked in your bed. More than I ever expected." She tapped her watch. "Duty calls. Do you want to cook tonight? Oh, if you're running errands? There's a list in the drawer."

Jason nodded. "That's okay. Do you want us to wait for you?"

"No, no, no, no, no, I won't be ready until around 10:00."

With a kiss, they said goodbye.

Jason sketched the rest of the morning. It was an excellent way to move his thoughts and he was not surprised that on every page the familiar lines of Conner's body appeared. Caught in a dilemma he considered the possibility of working on a project at another location. Especially if Conner were the subject. The opening of the front door prompted him to hastily store his sketches. Luckily, his laptop was already open. Conner came in unsuspectingly about his previous activity.