Chapter 3

“Oh my God, Sophie.” Madelyn exclaims hysterically when the front door rips open. She engulfs me into her arms and surprisingly I don’t stiffen up. For now, she’s the closest thing I have to a mom. And even though I don’t want to admit that, I can’t help it. She’s every bit like my mom it’s ridiculous. I can see it in her eyes.

“We were worried sick.” Austin says. It looks like he’s fighting with himself to hug me or not. I mean, we only just met today. I don’t blame him.

“Seriously Aunt Amber, you should’ve just left her on the street.” Lauren says, materializing all of a sudden behind her dad...our dad.

“Lauren, stop being a bitch.” Amber says making Lauren pout. She literally just pouted. At least I’m not the only one that thinks she’s one. Even her own aunt does.

Madelyn rolls her eyes at her daughter. “Come in here, honey. Ambs, thank you so much.” Madelyn says, pulling me inside and shutting the door behind Amber.

“I’ll go call the department and tell them we found Soph.” Austin announces. Oh god, please tell me they didn’t call the police. I wasn’t gone that long was I? I glance at the nearest clock at see it’s almost eleven. I run a hand through my hair and realize my eyes probably look bloodshot and puffy. A mix of exhaustion from crying and buzz from the caffeine. That’s just great.

Austin comes back moments later. “Okay, we have to talk about this.” Amber says from my side.

“Yeah, we do.” Austin says. “Why don’t you get some sleep, Sophie. You must be exhausted, sweetheart.”

“No.” I exclaim, surprising myself. They all look at me like I’ve lost my mind. “No, I’m staying here. I know you’re gonna talk about me. If I’m going to be living here, I need to be able to trust you guys. Please talk to me, not about me.” I plead, refusing to be ignorant or take the secrecy any longer. A moment of silence goes by and I catch a glance go between Madelyn and Amber.

“Okay.” Austin takes a deep breath.

“When the hell did you donate sperm?” Amber says, breaking the silence.

“Right!” Madelyn and her daughter say.

“Okay, can we stop bringing up something I did twenty years ago?” Austin pleads, seeming embarrassed.

“Like I said twenty years ago, you’re dick affects other people!” Amber cries. Okay, this new aunt of mine, I love her.

“Agreed. Sophie, I’m happy you’re here.” Madelyn says, directly to me. She looks at Austin for a moment and he nods as if urging her on to say something. “Austin and I have always wanted more kids. But we weren’t able to, I wasn’t able to.” She looks down for a moment and suddenly I feel bad for her. I have sympathy for her because maybe that’s how it was for my mom. Maybe that’s why she needed a sperm donor. “So to have you come here. Someone as beautiful and lovely as you, it’s a blessing. And we want you to feel welcome and apart of our family.”  

“Really?” I ask, my lower lip trembling.

“Yes.” Austin says.

“Plus, I’ve always wanted more nieces to spoil. I’d rather spend money on you than my own kids.” Amber says and I burst out laughing. Even in this exhausted state I can still laugh.

“I can’t wait.” I wink at her. “Well Austin, Mads, I think I’m gonna take you up on that offer and go to sleep. Thanks for everything today.” I say and for the first time in the last couple of hours, I step out my walls and comfort zone and give them both a hug. They’re my new set of parents after all.