Chapter 2

After taking a shower, I literally can’t keep my eyes open any longer. The plane ride here is starting to drain me and the time difference is killing me right now. My body should be asleep but it’s only eight-thirty. I guess I’ll have to get used to eating earlier. And boy did I eat. Madelyn’s chili is to die for. I honestly couldn't get enough and now I’m paying for it because I can barely move. All I want to do is lay in bed, sleep and be fat. But before I do I go to the kitchen to get some water and say goodnight to Austin and Madelyn. I haven’t seen or heard from Lauren since she came home and yelled at me. I don’t know what I did to upset her like that but if she keeps bitching at me, we’re gonna have a problem. I’m not overly fond of this situation just like she is.

As I tiptoe my way back to the kitchen I stop short when I hear who’s talking. It’s Lauren and her parents and they’re talking about me.

“Since when did you donate sperm and why didn’t you ever tell me?” Madelyn says. She sounds desperate, trying to piece together a puzzle or missing links in a story. Sperm? Why the hell would he do that?

“It was probably when I was in college, I don’t remember exactly when. But I know I needed money at the time and it seemed like a decent idea.” Austin’s deep voice explains. I don’t dare chance a glance into the kitchen. I know I’m going to come into the conversation sooner or later and since I don’t know them so well, I need to listen and not get caught.

“Well that was stupid.” Says Lauren. I roll my eyes. Just hearing her voice makes me cringe. It’s a mix between spoiled brat and full on bitch.

“I kind of agree, honey. Even though I love you and always will, you have a daughter. We have another daughter now. And who knows how many more.” Madelyn says. I can see her reasoning. I have to see it or else I’ll go nuts. First my mom tells me my dad died, then I come to find she lied to me and that he’s alive and now he’s just some sperm donor. I feel even more alone than ever before. My mom died and my dad is just a gene donor. That’s all he is. But what am I? Who the hell do I belong to? I can’t do this all on my own.

“Shit, what are we gonna do?” Austin says. “We’re not ready for this.”

“Then get rid of her.” Lauren spits. My fists clench and I fight the urge to punch the wall. It’s probably too expensive but better than Lauren’s face.

“We can’t put her out on the street, Lauren.” Madelyn spits back.

“Maybe we can find another home for her?” Austin suggest. What? I knew it. I knew they didn’t want me here. They were faking it the whole time. Why didn’t they just leave me on the street? Why did they let me in, give me a room, and make me believe that maybe they cared about me. That maybe my biological father had some room in his heart for me. How could I have been so naive?

I don’t hear anymore because I leave the hallway. I can’t hear anymore of this. I run back up to my room, grab my bag and stuff some clothes into it. If I never come back, the rest can stay. I didn’t have much in the first place. Without so much as another look back, I slip out their back door and head down the street.

It’s dark and I have absolutely no idea where I’m going. I just need to get out of that house. I was suffocating in there. Their words spiraling around me, forcing me to believe they’re right. that they don’t care about me. That the one person that did care about me is gone. Forever.

Tears stream down my face, becoming ice cold with the wind brushing across my skin. It’s freezing out here, only because I’m in pajama pants and a tank top. I come across a playground about twenty blocks away from their house. It’s not far but a pretty good distance for someone on foot. I collapse on the bench and completely break down. Sobs escape me one after another, taking with it a piece of my soul.

After a while, the sobs stop. I have nothing left it seems. I need to go somewhere warm or I’ll most likely suffer hypothermia eventually. So I start walking and eventually come to a small strip of stores. I come across a coffee shop that’s thankfully still open. Grateful that I brought my wallet, I give a couple bills to the barista and she hands me a steaming hot cup of coffee. I recoil in a booth off towards the corner and relax. I take deep and steadied breaths, trying to clear my mind. Trying to think of something to do. If I can’t stay at Austin’s house I’ll have to find somewhere else to go. But first I need money. I can’t do anything without money. My eyes glance over and see a Hiring sign above the register. I amble over and get an application from one of the employees.

“Excuse me.” Someone says. I turn around to see a woman about the same age as Madelyn. She has that same vibe Madelyn does. She has to be older than she looks but at the same time she has a youthful and radiant glow. She has long brown hair like mine and deep set hazel eyes like mine. Actually, if I’m not mistaken, she looks closely related to Austin.

“Yes.” I say back.

“What’s your name?” The lady asks.

I furrow my eyebrows. “Antonia.” I answer, using my middle name just because I don’t know her, or this town, or anyone here. She could be an axe murder for all I know. “Why?”

“I’m Amber, I was just...you look exactly like I did when I was younger, huh.” She explains. Okay, yeah she’s crazy.

“That’s great.” I say, nodding slowly and hoping she’ll just go away.

“What are you doing here?” What the fuck?

“I came for the coffee.”

“No, really, why are you here?” She asks softly. Something in her eyes tells me she’s sincere. As crazy as that sounds, I can feel it. She’s not going to hurt me. Instead, it seems like she wants to help me.

“Honestly? I ran away.” I tell her.

“Why?” So I give the general, barely any detail story of my day. Mom recently died, found out who my real dad is, found out him and his perfect little family basically don't want me. “Antonia, I know this could be hard. Hell, actually I have no idea.” She says and I laugh. She has the same kind of humor Madelyn does. “But I can tell you this. He has to take care of you. He has no choice but to and even though that may seem uncaring, what else are you gonna do?” I take a deep breath, letting her words settle for a minute. It’s true. Even though I may not particularly like the situation, I might as well take advantage of it.

“You’re right.”

Amber smiles back. “Why don’t I give you a ride home?”

“I’d really appreciate that.” I say, finishing the last of my coffee.

We walk outside the coffee shop to her car, a red Jeep that looks like it belongs to her husband or something.

“What’s the address, honey?” She asks as I put my seatbelt on.

“2787 Wood Street.” I say. She doesn't say anything and I wonder if maybe I got the address wrong and she’s never hear of it. “What?”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” She says, shaking her head.

“No, I think that’s right. Why?”

“Austin West.” She says.

“Yeah...you know him.”

She rolls her eyes, putting the car in gear and pulling out of the space. “He’s my brother.” She says and my mouth drops. “I’m sorry but you have a dumbass for a father.” She grumbles as we head down the dark street back to hell.