26

Growing up, I lived a life that I would say was fair

Growing up, I lived a life that I would say was fair. My parents loved me and gave me everything I wanted. I never had to suffer through any hardship or pain. I never had the opportunity to experience heartache or real concern because I lived a pretty sheltered yet humble life.

I never dated. I never experienced love. I lived my life like how a leaf floating on top of the water. I went in whatever directions it took me and never took anything for granted.

I should have known though that even if I lived a sheltered life, there was no way to evade emotions like love, heartache, and pain. They were new to me and lately, I found myself hurting more than I have ever done before. I had sacrificed more of myself than I have before the mate bond. Did it mean I regret it? I don't because these feelings would make me a better person. Experiencing hardship, pain, heartache—they were natural obstacles in life.

This was why I loved him even with all his imperfections.

I had woken up to him gone. I had walked all over the cabin searching for him. I had even checked in the backyard where his woodshed was. There was no sign of him. He had disappeared.

He didn't come for the next two days and I had refused to leave the cabin in case he decided to return. There was no doubt that I was worried about him. At first, it was questions involving my insecurities. I was afraid he had left me because he didn't want me.

Did he leave me because he didn't want me? Was it over? Will he ever come back? These were questions that floated through my mind as the hours grow late and the day grew longer.

Then I started thinking about all the things that might have possibly happen.

Did he shift unexpectantly? Was it his beast? Was he hurt?

Finally, I ended up calling Katya to ask her if she had heard anything from Liam. I told her what happened. She reassured me that it may be nothing at all. Liam tends to leave but he always returns.

I hung up not feeling any better. I didn't want to think about all the 'what ifs'. I just wanted him back. I just wanted him safe.

Stepping outside once again, I pulled up his hood on his hoodie and crossed my arms to ward off the cold. His clothes were the only thing left of him and it provided me some comfort. My eyes scanned the area. It was getting late again. There was barely any light out at this point.

"Liam," I whispered. "Where are you?"

I moved down the steps and sat down on the porch. Every night I waited for him outside. Hoping and waiting for him to return. At the sound of animal footsteps or a breeze, I would think it was him.

My parents have visited every day for the last two days. Surprisingly, they also said the same thing that Katya said. For me not to worry that he would return but I felt something was wrong. My gut was telling me that there was something wrong. He wouldn't have left me abruptly like this. He wouldn't have abandoned me.