11

"So, when did you get those tattoos?" Gamma Judah inquired while I waited for Sage to step out of her bedroom

After last night, I had brought Sage back home safely and told her that I wanted to take her out today. Upon arriving at Sage's home, I see that Gamma Judah and Gamma Female Rosemary were also home. When I announced that I wanted to take Sage out on a date, Gamma Female Rosemary's face lit up immediately. She thought it was a perfect idea. On the other hand, Gamma Judah's eyebrows furrowed with wariness. The man was intimidating but I am no longer a boy.

Facing him under these circumstances does not require a silent standoff but a different kind of respect for Gamma Judah. After all, his daughter is my mate. It was only his right to feel this way towards me.

"A year after I left home," I replied. The word 'home' still sounds foreign to me.

"Why did you decide to leave home?" Gamma Judah questioned next.

"I needed to find myself," I said with a shrug.

"Find yourself?" Gamma Judah raised an eyebrow.

I nodded. "Yes. You all were born into a pack. I wasn't. I lived in fear for seven years. I guess I kind of got lost along the way. I just wanted to see what was out there."

Gamma Judah nodded but didn't push on the matter further. I am silently thankful that he didn't. I wasn't ready and if he had pushed I might just have stood up and left.

"You realize that Sage is my only pup," Gamma Judah pointed out.

I nodded. "I do."

"You'll treat her right or I'll make sure you won't be able to see daylight again. Brother of Luna or not," he threatened.

I smirked at his protective instinct. I wished I received this kind of treatment when I was little. Sage was lucky. She was able to have two parents that loved and adored her.

"I appreciate that. If I ever hurt her, you can do whatever you want with me. I promise I will not retaliate," I replied with a nod.

Gamma Female Rosemary smiled then. She turned to her mate who threw her another scowl. Her smile slipped and she pinned him with her own scowl.

"He is a good kid, Jude," Gamma Female Rosemary snapped which left Gamma Judah grumbling.

"That's ok. I understand Gamma Judah's concern. You have the right to protect your pup. I promise I'll try my best to treat her right," I assured her.

"Aw, honey, you do not need to call us by our titles. Since you are our daughter's mate, you can call us by our name," she replied with a warm smile.

I nodded again. "Thank you, Rosemary."

The sound of a door opening catches our attention. We all went silent as footsteps grew closer. I turned in my seat on the sofa to look behind me. What I see made me smile. Sage didn't bother dressing up. Honestly, she was in black skinny denim and a dark grey over-sized V-neck t-shirt. Her burnt umber hair a frazzled cascade down to her mid back. She was beautiful.