3

At seven in the afternoon, Nina and I walked to the Jacksons' home for this dinner that everyone knew about, except me. Which isn't surprising. I decided to go with something more conservative, because I feel like Michael's seen enough of me for a day.

The door opened and we were welcomed with such cheer and happiness. I was being hugged here and there, and it wasn't as bad as I had expected this to be. When one of the family members let me go, I walked up two steps, and found myself standing next to Michael.

I was surprised that he actually looked fancy and nice. He looks very handsome in the suit he was wearing.

He looked down at me and raised his eyebrows, "Oh look it's you." He smirked. "And your legs are covered."

"Oh, fuck you." I mumbled.

"You would, wouldn't you?" He groaned.

"What the hell does that even mean?" I asked, and before he could answer, Nina grabbed my hand, and faced me towards Katherine. She was much older than I remember...then again, so was everyone else.

She smiled sweetly at me, and hugged me once again. Pulling me back, she looked me up and down and smiled, "You're a young woman now! How old are you?"

"I'm eighteen." I smiled. And shortly after I answered, I heard Michael's voice.

He mumbled, "Youngins."

I looked at him and rolled his eyes. I assumed Katherine remembered the fact that he is a year older than me, and hushed him, "You're still a baby too, so I don't know what you're mumbling about."

Everyone started laughing, and Michael huffed and walked out of the room.

I looked at Katherine and gave her an awkward face. She rolled her eyes, "He's been a bit grumpy lately, so don't take anything he says literally; he don't mean it."

I nodded my head in acknowledgement.

"Let's sit down now?" Joseph asked.

"I'll get Michael." Janet chirped and skipped out of the room. She's gotten so old. Last time I saw her, she was just a little girl.

-

We made our seating arrangements, and I didn't know where to sit. Nina sat by Katherine, and, just for my luck, the only spot left was next to Michael; making things a little awkward, given that he was already being a grouch.

I hesitantly sat down in the chair, because I could feel his eyes on me, staring me down, with a tension so strong, I couldn't breathe right. After adjusting my dress, he looked away, finally, and stared down at the table, and then at his fingers. I started to look at him from the corner of my eye. His outfit suited him nicely, and he was very attractive...well, if I'm going to be completely honest with myself, he's always been attractive, in my opinion. How can one so attractive, be such a dick?

"Who wants to lead us in prayer?" One of the brothers asked.

Janet volunteered.

We all grabbed hands, and I placed mine in Michael's. At first he got all uncomfortable and weird, but then he grabbed a good grip on my hand. As she started praying, his grip on my hand started getting tighter and tighter, to a point where I had to kick him under the table. He bit his lip, inhaled sharply and clutched his shin, allowing him to let go of me. I rolled my eyes, and rested my head on my hand instead of returning it back to Michael. After Janet's prayer, that I unfortunately missed, we all opened our eyes, Michael and I looked at each other. He snarled at me, and I returned with a childish tongue.

Why is he being such a jerk to me? I don't know what I did to get this out of him, or what I did to all of sudden get this asshole on my case. He used to be cool when we were kids, but I guess the phrase, "people change" is true. I mean, it's barely my first day here, I couldn't have made him hate me already!