Chapter 2

We look into each other's eyes, glowing with the colors of our souls. I never thought I would ever see what I am staring at in this moment. His green eye seemed to glow a little lighter green than mine and his orange eye glowed like the moon with smoke in the air. It was beautiful. I wonder if this was how people look at me.

I thought I was the only one. He tells me and takes me from my thoughts. Without warning he turns and starts running deeper into the forest.

"Wait!" I yell as I start running after him. I have so many questions racing through my head. I can't catch up to him, his agility makes him really fast. Where is he going?    

"Emily?" I stop and see Alisa looking really confused to why I was running in the forest at night.

"I...I saw someone, like me." I try to explain still shocked from what I saw. "I'm not the only one." Alisa squints in confusion but I think she just doesn't believe what I'm saying. "Alisa, I saw someone with two soul colors." She backs up.

"Who?" She asks, as if that's the only question running through her head.

"A boy, he had green and orange, he ran into the forest, I couldn't keep up." That is obvious because anyone with the orange soul color can run faster than people without it.

"Come on Emily, it's late, we can figure this out tomorrow." She says slowly like I might run away.

"No, you dont understand I have been looking for this since, well, I could look." I can't leave, not yet, I need to find where he went. I try to turn and walk away deeper into the forest were he went but Alisa stops me.

"You can't be serious?" She asks but I don't answer. I stare into the forest. Answers. I could get answers. No one is going to stop me. "Alisa, I need answers, you can't stop me." With that she lets go and I walk away.

Once again I let my psychic side of me lead the way. Its faint, he must have gone pretty far, but its there. I'm not going to give up when I have gotten so far. I don't understand. Why did he run. Doesn't he want answers? I dont know, but I want to and I will keep going. I've gotten to the shapeshifter's line. It is the line of the forest where beyond it they can shapeshift. Non-shapeshifter's aren't aloud beyond it, but I need to find him, so I cross. 

It's so dark I don't know who would be out here but some shapeshifter's like to roam around in the dark. The feeling is getting stronger I must be getting closer. What am I going to say when I find him? I don't want him running off again so I'm going to have to trust my green side more than I want to.

I know your there. What do you want? At first he startles me but I gather myself quickly.

"I just want to talk, don't you have questions?" I can feel he is still too cautious to come out so I must try and get him to trust me. "You don't need to hide, I just want to help." 

You think I have answers for you? Well, I don't. I don't know anything. He must have got through to my thoughts.

"That doesn't matter, not to me, I just don't want to be...Alone." I explain, "All my life I have searched for someone like me, like you." I was going to say more but I stopped, and realized that that has been all that I have done. 

I didn't, I never even thought about looking for others like me. I've always been alone, I lost hope of anything good happening a long time ago. I don't know what I would do without hope, it's all I have.  It saddens me what he just said.

"Please come out." I say, but I get no reply.

A few minutes pass and I think he must be thinking about it, but nothing. Then I hear it. The rustling I heard when he came out the last time. "My name is Shane, by the way." I turn to my left and see a tall brown haired boy that looks about my age.

"Emily." I return my name. I can feel that this is the beginning of another journey, a journey for answers to everything that both of us wonder.

At first we just stand there in silence then I ask. "Shane, you might not have answers to questions about the soul colors but you must have answers about yourself." I might have gone to far but he must not think so. He nods slowly and says in his mind. I will tell you about me, if you tell me about you.

"Ok, I will." I say and he motions for me to walk with him.

At first I ask where he is from. "I'm from the far side of the mountains, east of here. I came up last summer. I've been living here among the trees." I wonder why I didn't find him earlier. I came out by the edge of the forest every night. I ask about his parents. He frowns, "Car crash, lost them about three years ago." I feel really bad about Shane already even though none of that was my fault.

We walk for what seems like hours. He tells me about the mountains, living without parents and simple things about what he likes. "Can you tell me anything about your abilities?" I ask. Most people never ask about it because we learn about all of them in school but never about having two. He must feel un-easy talking about it so he uses his telepathy. 

I don't know what to tell. I have super agility and I'm a psychic. 

"I mean what is it like having two." I try to get him to understand but he must think it is useless talking about it. 

Well you know, its overwhelming. You never know what people will say or think so I stayed away from them and learned to use my abilities on my own. This surprises me. He had no teacher, but he is a really good telepath.

"You never once looked for someone like you?" I can't help but ask again, searching seemed liked the most important thing to me.

"No, not once." He says aloud.

We walk in silence a bit longer then I hear a growl. "Did you hear that?" I ask Shane but I can tell he did, he looks around trying to see where it came from. It must be around midnight now. I hope my parents don't notice I'm gone. Another growl, louder this time made me jump a little. 

Could be a shapeshifter. Shane talks using his telepathy again. Then a rustling sound comes from a bunch of bushes a few yards straight in front of us. Stay here I'll go check it out. Shane starts to head towards the noise slowly. There is more rustling and growling now, Shane is right behind it. He looks back at me then turns and parts the bushes to see what it is. At first he is just bending over the bushes saying nothing then he laughs a little and turns back towards me.

"Its just a family of foxes." Shane tells me but I'm still confused. Foxes? The growling I heard didn't sound like foxes. Shane must tell I'm confused but he walks over and says in a more reassuring voice. "It's just foxes." I shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal, but as I did there was a loud ear wrenching howl. What was that? Shane says in his head letting me into his thoughts for a brief moment. The howl must have made him vulnerable.

"That wasn't a fox."  I speak the obvious. Shane rolls his eyes then turns serious. 

We should head back. Even though he couldn't read my thoughts, that's exactly what I was thinking. 

On our way back we don't run into any foxes or hear any howls, we just walk, not talking, until I break the silence. "So, do you want to meet up tomorrow? I did say I would tell you about me." He looks at me, smiles, and nods. 

We reach the edge of the forest and no one is there anymore, and we say goodbye. See you tomorrow. Shane says, and with that I walk back to my house and he walks into the forest. I wish he didn't have to live in the forest but what can I do? When I get home my mind races with everything that happened. I just can't believe it. It really happened. My search for someone like me is over, but my search for answers is still ongoing.