015.

Sincere POV

* Flashback to 2013, 7 years ago *
( 14 Year Old Sincere )

I was looking through the crack of my mama's door. Just watching as she opened bills on top of bills.

She picked up her phone and dialed a number.

"Hello? Yes this is Serenity Williams. I was calling to ask if I could have an extension on my water bill? It's due in 2 days but I don't get paid for 5 days." She said in her white gjrl work voice.

I didn't hear anything the bill collector said but tears started running down my mama's face.
"Okay, I understand." She said and her voice cracked.

My heart hurt for my mama. We've struggled our whole life but this is an all time low. This means our water is finna get cut off. Our lights are already off, we have candles we found outside of a church lit all over the house. We don't have anything in the fridge but some bologna, bread, some old mustard, and some cheese. I've already had to pawn my PlayStation 2 and my most expensive pair of shoes last week to keep the electric on. And I know the rent is due next week.

I have to do something. I can't just sit around. I thought to myself.

I didn't go to sleep that night. I waited till my mama and my little brother went to sleep and I put my jacket and shoes on.

As soon as I was about to open the room door I heard my little brother speak.
"Where are you going Sin?" Kash's 10 year old voice asked me.

I slowly turned around. "Don't worry about it. I'll be back in an hour." I said, knowing I wouldn't be able to live up to those words.

"Okay....... be safe I guess." He said and rolled over on his air mattress towards the window.

I walked out the room and quietly tip toed out the front door. Thankfully without waking mama up.

I got out the house and headed to the corner store where only the crackheads, drug dealers, and prostitutes are still awake.

I looked around at all the people and I told myself not to get nervous.
I let out a breath and threw my hood over my head.

I approached the 2 corner boys with my head up and my hands in my pocket.
"Well who do we have here? What you doing out at this time of night lil man?" The first dude said.

"Look ima just get straight to the point. I'm tryna get put on." I said with no hesitation or nervousness.

The second dude looked me up and down and laughed.
"The hell man? How old are you? Twelve? Go back to your mommy's house and get tucked in to bed." He said and I shook my head.

"How old I am doesn't matter. I said I'm tryna get put on. There are plenty of other corners on this side of town that I could go to and find somebody just the same as you. I'm not here to waste time, are you gonna help me or not?" I said in all seriousness making him stop laughing.

"Damn lil bro, you out like that?" The first dude said but I didn't respond. I just looked at him.

I looked back and fourth between the two guys before turning the other way and walking off.
I said what I had to say twice. They weren't tryna help me so I'm on my way to the next.