Chapter 2

Despite the confidence that Suga and Daichi had intended to give him, Asahi found himself nearly shaking with nerves when he approached Noya after practice to take him home. How was he supposed to, how did Suga put it, "flirt it up"? What if they were wrong and Asahi was harboring an unrequited crush that was about to become very uncomfortable for the both of them? What happened if Noya flirted back? Would they kiss? What would happen if they did kiss?

"Asahi-san, you look like you've seen a ghost," Noya informed him with a severe frown. He was sitting on the bench with his injured leg propped up on an ice pack, fidgeting with pent up energy. The team had taken the news of his injury pretty well, but that didn't stop Noya from feeling like he was letting everyone down by sitting on the sidelines.

Noya's bluntness undid a coil in Asahi's chest, and he allowed himself to relax a little. Noya was still Noya, even when he had a crush on Asahi. "I'm fine," Asahi assured him. "Ready to go home?"

Noya's eyes lit up. "My loyal steed! Ready to go on wild adventures and conquer foreign lands?"

"We're just going to your house, Nishinoya," Asahi reminded him, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. As much as he loved Noya's endless energy, it made it very difficult for Asahi to keep up with him, let alone try and follow Daichi and Suga's directions.

"Shhh Asahi-san, you're supposed to work with me here. I'm your knight in shining armor, remember?"

"Isn't the knight supposed to have a princess, not a steed?" Asahi asked. He wouldn't mind being the princess to Noya's knight. Noya saved his ass enough on a regular basis on the court, so it wasn't like things would change very much if Noya became his knight. Plus the concept of knighthood was kind of romantic, which Asahi could get behind far more than Suga's vaguely inappropriate descriptions about how relationships worked.

"Well I suppose so, but isn't the knight supposed to be carrying the princess? Some knight I am if I'm making my lady do my job," Noya scoffed, although he seemed to be blushing (much to Asahi's delight). "Anyways, you're a man."

"Well maybe modern day knighthood doesn't have such rigid gender roles," Asahi pointed out with a shrug.

"Okay, so I still get to be a knight, and you can be my gender role defying man-princess," Noya declared, standing up and hopping onto Asahi's back. "I can deal with that."

"I'm pretty sure a man-princess is called a prince, Nishinoya," Asahi reminded him.

"Shut up, I'm bad at words," Noya said. Asahi didn't have the heart to tease him any further; he was too focused on the implication of what Noya had said. Noya was the knight to his prince. Did that count as flirting? He wasn't sure if Suga would count it, but Asahi was proud of himself.

They made their way back to Noya's house bantering back and forth, making up wild tales about Noya the knight and his miraculous quests for his man-princess (he wouldn't let the term go, no matter how much Asahi corrected him) until they were both laughing and out of breath on Noya's doorstep. Asahi paused at the door, unsure of what to do next. He felt like he was walking on sunshine, with Noya clinging to him and their laughter filling the air, and he didn't want the atmosphere to dissipate just yet. Plus he was pretty sure he'd failed on his mission to "flirt it up," no matter how much fun he'd had. After all, the walk back hadn't seemed very romantic, just hilarious.

"Stay for dinner Asahi-san," Noya said, leaning forward to speak into Asahi's ear. Asahi was sure his entire body went rigid as he felt Noya's breath on his neck, and god damn it why was he so gay? He needed to figure out the whole flirting thing.

"Uh, okay," Asahi stammered. Before Asahi could think any more about how Noya had just made him feel, Noya had disentangled himself from Asahi's arms and jumped down, landing on one foot.