Chapter 2

The next morning I woke up to the sun in my eyes. I only got a few hours of sleep. I groaned and slowly got out of my bed. 'Another day of the same process' I think to myself.

After about 20 minutes I walked out of my room ready for the day. In the same boring navy blue clothes I sat down at the table where my father, my mother, my sister, and I sit at every meal.

I sat down as my mother put breakfast on the table. Like everyday we have the same meals. Scrambled eggs and toast. I guess everyone here is used to it but to me it's plain and nasty. Anyways Luke always brings me new stuff they have on his side, which makes me hate THIS food more.
The rest of my family sat down and grabbed a plate and ate. As I played with my food my mother looked up at me. "Why are you not eating? Are you okay?" My mother was always so worried about everything we do. That's why she especially can't find out about Luke.

Anyways I nodded quickly and ate my food, which was hard to swallow down. "Yeah I'm fine, mom. Just another boring day."

"Bethany! Do not say it is boring. Everyone here is doing this for your own good! Look how much smarter you are compared to the otherside!"

Like she would even know. She's never even been there! Or met anyone there! I nodded and just kept my thoughts in my head. After I finsih my food I go up to my parents and hugged both of them. I hugged my sister too. I love my family. Even though their over protective they are amazing.

After a long day of school I walked to the fence. Today at school was rough. Teachers were asking if we were breaking any rules about the fence. Of course I said no because if I told the truth Luke and I would probably be in a boatload of trouble starting with our parents. Then with the people who decides fates for people who break laws. I can't let that happen to me. But more importantly him.

We mostly meet at night but today we meet after school. I just say to my parents I was with a friend. I walked up to the fence and see him there. Gosh he was always there before me.

As I walked up to him his smile grew wider. eventually I got to him and he instantly took my hand. "I really want to show you something. It's amazing. But you will need to go over the fence."

"What?" I stared at him in shock. "No one on either side has ever crossed the fence"

"Yeah I know... Please Bethany?" He gave me puppy dog eyes.

He knew I always fell for his puppy dog eyes. I sighed. "Fine let's go" His face lightened up and I climbed over the fence.

After a few minutes I saw something. Like a puddle of water. A lake. I've always heard about them, but never seeing one. Iran up to it and Luke followed. He smiled at me "Do you like it?"

"Duh I love it!" I said excitedly. It was beautiful. The bright sun reflecting off of it and the clear water was amazing. "Luke how was your day?" After yesterday I was afraid to ask.

He looked at me seriously. "Better. No one asked my or had suspicions. But i'm still nervous. How about you, Beth?"

"At school.... The teachers asked us... if we knew anyone who had crossed the fence that they didn't know about. Of course I said no even though I do. Myself."

All he did was nod. I guess that's really all you could do for now. "Anyways... let's stop worrying for one second and have some fun! I brought you something." He pulled out a square with blue stuff on it. I just stared. It was very pretty. "It's called a piece of cake. Probably never heard of it right?" He said

I laughed and nodded "We don't get this stuff cake in the boring side." He gave me the piece and a fork. I started eating it and fell in love with it. "Mmmmmm" I said and smiled "It's amazing!"