Chapter 1

1996

"ALEX! HURRY UP. We've got to get on the road."

"Coming," I answer even though it wasn't a question. My mom hates being late. I do, too, but packing for this summer at my grandparents has been more difficult than usual. Taking a quick inventory, I look around my room like something is going to jump out at me if I forgot it.  Maybe it's because I know that there won't be a chance to come back home if I forget something. Tossing the last few things I just can't live without into my duffel bag, I throw the strap of it across my chest, and then put my backpack on. "I'm ready," I announce as I walk back into the living room.

My dad is packing the car. There are several suitcases lined up in the mud room that leads to our garage. Placing my heavy bag down beside the rest, Mom laughs. "Did you forget the bathroom sink?"

I glance up at her with a smile. "Yeah, I did. Thanks for reminding me," I giggle.

She shakes her head and holds her arms out to embrace me. I nuzzle my head into her chest as she rubs my hair. "I'm gonna miss you, Boo."

Looking up to her under my lashes, I realize my momma is so pretty. She has big brown eyes and black hair. She wears it straight, no bangs. It goes halfway down her back, and it feels like silk. She doesn't need make-up. She's got an olive, dewy complexion. People say I'm a good mix of my parents with my father's brown eyes and my mother's features. "I'll miss you guys, too."

"I can't believe you didn't want to come with us," she says as she releases me. 

"There'll be other times for me to go to Europe." I shrug.  I don't care about fancy stuff like expensive vacations.  "You know that I look forward to my summers.  There may be no Eiffel Tower or Big Ben, but there's The Blue Top." My mouth starts to water at the thought of the best, greasiest cheeseburger I've ever had in my life.  The Blue Top is this little diner that is across the street from the church.  It's been around my entire life and then some. "Besides.  I can't imagine that European food would be able to come close to being as good as Memaw's."

Mom smiles.  "You're probably right about that."

"Oh," I raise my eyebrows for emphasis.  "I know I'm right about that."

"You're fifteen going on thirty, you know that?"

I roll my eyes, playfully.  "Yeah, yeah.  Old soul and all.  The good girl."  She puts her hand on my head and starts to make circular motions, essentially causing my hair to become a frizzy mess.  "Hey," I protest as I smooth it back into place.

She chuckles.  "I wouldn't have you any other way, Alex.  All things said, I'm glad that we raised you to understand the importance of priorities."

I can't help but grin.  "Papa is always sayin' this might be his last summer, or this might be his last Christmas."  I close my eyes for a moment.  "I know one day that will be right.  I don't want to look back and wish I could have spent more time with them."

Mom purses her lips together for a moment.  "You'll always feel that way about the people you love.  But it's important to know that you did everything you could while you could, ya know?"

"Yep, I mean, most of my friends don't even have grandparents still living.  I'm a lucky girl."  

She nods.  

I point to the door. "I'm gonna go ahead to the car."

"Okay. We're right behind you."

***

LUCKILY, I'VE NEVER had much trouble sleeping in the car. I stretch my arms to the ceiling as a yawn escapes my mouth. "Where are we?" I ask as I look around. We moved to Ballentine, North Carolina, a few years ago. The road trip to Memaw and Papa's house isn't too bad, taking around three hours. We're still on the interstate, but the scenery is different. I know it sounds crazy because trees are trees, but I can always tell when we get close. There's something about the landscaping that's different in each state.