Chapter 19

"COVER," ECHOES IN my ear as I get a glimpse of his large body tackling me. We're both blown back. I'm alive, I think. I hear, "I'm not gonna leave you. Stay with me, Alex. Stay with me." I can't see him because I can't keep my eyes open, but I know that voice. I've tried to banish it from my memory, but to no avail.

"Dr. Hart," a woman's voice asks.

I open my eyes. "Drew," I say.

The pity on her face is obvious. I recognize that look because I've used it before with my own patients. "There's no one here named Drew."

My head hurts so badly. Actually my entire body feels like it's been put through a meat grinder. Even taking a breath causes the ache to worsen. "I saw him. He saved me," I mutter.

"You got hit. You're on a lot of pain medication," she explains.

She thinks I'm crazy. This nurse actually thinks I don't know what I saw. "It's not the meds. I saw Drew," I insist.

"Drew who? I'll check for you."

"Foster. His name is Drew Foster," my voice cracks.

She smiles politely. "Okay, I'll be back. Just try to rest."

While I wait, I clench my eyes closed. I see the explosion. I see him. It's as real as anything I've ever known.

When she returns momentarily, she confirms. "I'm sorry, Dr. Hart. There's no Drew Foster in your company."

"I'm not crazy. I know it was him at the explosion. I recognized his voice!" I yell, completely frustrated.

She nods. "Why don't I call in someone to come talk with you? Maybe that would help."

I shake my head. "No. I don't understand why you're keeping him from me."

"We're not keeping him from you. There is no one deployed that would have been in the same area by that name," she insists.

"Surely he would have been hurt with me. He'd be here with me." Then my thoughts wander into uncharted territory. It's not a place I can fathom being. Maybe he's dead. What if I was on the brink of death and saw him? Like in the movies. I've had patients tell me that they saw loved ones when they were in critical condition and we weren't sure they'd make it. I swallow the large lump in my throat. The familiar feeling of bricks taking occupancy on my chest resumes. It's been a long time since I felt this kind of pain, this kind of pressure. "Fatalities?"

"None," she smiles proudly as she puts medication through my IV. "This is just another dose for pain."

I gasp for air, like I've been holding my breath underwater for hours. "Thank goodness for that." That still doesn't explain my situation. I know I saw him. "Thank you for your help," I offer.

In my experience as a physician, if I don't cool it, they will think I've completely lost my mind. Maybe I have. Fatigue sets in from whatever she just gave me, and I drift back into the phase of sleep where I can hear what's going on around me, but I really couldn't care less.

This is when I hear what I had feared. "I think she has Acute Stress Disorder. She keeps asking for someone named Drew Foster. Talking about the explosion."

***

I DON'T KNOW how long it's been, or where I am for that matter since I've been in and out of consciousness, but mostly out. My entire body aches. My right leg is in traction. It only takes me a second to realize it's my knee that hurts. I reach over and press the nurse call button. The intercom comes on, "How can we help you?"

"Send my nurse, please," I manage to mutter.

The voice comes back with, "Anything she can bring to you?"