Don't Be Afraid Ch. 5

"Okay, here's the plan," Luke began. Currently, he, Violet, Tripp, Louis, and I were getting ready to go hunting. "Clementine and I will go look in this area here." He pointed at a spot on the map that was closer to the river.

"The rest of you will head downriver," he told them. "I've been thinking about the food situation and what to eat. I'm thinking if we see any deer, we kill it and immediately head back here."

"Why?" Louis asked.

"Tripp and I are the strongest ones out of us five," Luke explained. "Tripp more so, but even then, us two won't be enough to carry that thing everywhere. We'll carry the deer, and we need some help bringing it back home. Sound good, Tripp?"

"Yeah," Tripp nodded. "If it means I get to take a bite out of that four-legged bitch, then I'm in."

"Four-legged bitch," I snorted. "That's a good one."

"Anyway," Luke continued. "Everyone else has their assignments here. As soon as we get ready, we'll head out."

He looked at Violet and asked, "You're good at using a bow, right Vi?"

"I'm not the best at it, but yeah," Violet said.

"How do you know how to shoot one?" I asked my girlfriend.

"Minnie taught me," she replied sadly.

"Well, anyway," Luke continued. "Let's not get sad before we go hunting."

"Yeah," Violet agreed.

"As soon as y'all are ready, then head out," Luke ordered. "I'll go get my stuff. I'll see you in a bit, Clementine."

"See ya," I said as he walked off.

I looked at Violet, who took the hoodie off my head and stared at me.

"Bet I can kill more animals than you," I challenged her.

"Let's have that competition for another time," she said.

"You okay?" I asked her, noticing her sad mood.

"Yeah, I'm just..." She said, not sure what to say. "We'll talk about it later, okay?"

"Okay," I nodded. She grabbed both sides of my face and leaned down to kiss my lips.

"I love you," she said to me.

"Love you back," I said. "Be safe."

"You too," she told me.

-

There you are, you little shit.

In the distance, I spotted a rabbit climbing out of the snow and sniffed the ground. I aimed with my bow and waited till it stopped. Now!

I released the arrow and watched it soar through the air before hitting the rabbit.

"Got it," I told Luke, who was behind me.

"Nice shot," he complimented me. We walked towards the rabbit and noticed it was still alive, but dying. "That's sad."

"Yeah, it is," I nodded.

"You want me to do it?" Luke asked me.

"No, I'll do it," I said as I kneeled to the rabbit. I grabbed its head and twisted it harshly.

*SNAP*

I stared at the bunny's face; its eyes and mouth were open, forever looking at the world, but never seeing it.

"You okay?" Luke asked me.

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"Well, it's just the way you killed it seemed..." Luke was trying to come up with the right words.