Chapter Ten

The next day, Christian's training with Elisabet started. He was very nervous, which he felt was quite out of character for him. When he walked in with his grandmother, he was sure Luther could tell and if Elisabet did, she did not give him any extra encouragement. He already felt a strong affiliation with his paternal grandmother, and he could not help but love her dearly. He knew she thought of him as her only beloved grandson, but when she was tutoring him, she took the process very seriously and almost seemed a different person entirely. Serina came to watch as well, along with Antoinette, after they had finished their meeting with the Troll delegates.

The first thing Elisabet did was give Christian a lecture.

"Now, Christian, there are many different types of magick. To begin with, there is pure magick, and that is the magick one is born with. All magick can be learnt, this is called impure magick, and one trains hard to master it. Occasionally, you will find that someone mastering impure magick will find they have latent pure magick. This is what happened to you, only it was the vampyre gene that triggered it. This is not to say that those with pure magick are any better, they merely have the advantage of having the magick in their blood. Working with what is already there as opposed to teaching their body to contain the magick, you could say. The next sub-categories apply to both pure and impure magick. First, there is unfocussed magick. This is what we call a person who doesn't have a Primary Magick, or a specialisation, and can do a bit of everything, although does not have strong power in each.

"First of the focussed magicks is a power you will probably not come across. Necromancy. This is the power to raise the dead, both flora and fauna. Necromancy is known to be the most difficult magick to master, either pure or impure. Associated with necromancy is the power to kill by will alone. Usually a darker magick, necromancy can also be harmless when the person focuses it flora. It is natural to be drawn to it, and if dabbled with it can become overpowering. However, as I said, you are not likely to come across it.

"Next there is simple transmogrification. While those with elemental magick, which we will discuss last, are also able to do this, those with only primary transmogrification can generally only transform living beings, specifically, humans or humanoid creatures. That is, those who have a similar makeup to humans, vampyres, elves, etc.

"There are many kinds of magick similar to transmogrification which the larger magicks can also do. However, people with these more specific, or lesser, magicks cannot do the other things that people with larger magicks can do aside from the specific magick. There are much too many of them to name or bother remembering, and each case is different and dealt with accordingly. Again, people with what we term lesser magicks are not necessarily more powerful than those with larger magicks. In fact, there are some people who have a larger magick but very little power, or strength, behind it. There are others who have a lesser magick and more strength. As I said before, it is the same with pure and impure magicks.

"And then there is elemental magick, the ability to control the elements, and another larger magick. It is the most common pure magick and second-most hard to master as impure magick. It is also virtually limitless. As everything is composed of elements, you are able to control everything and model it almost any way you wish. This includes weather, flora, fauna, even rocks and streams. This is what I have and what you have inherited. Within elemental magick, there are even more specialised magicks. Of each of the elements, air, earth, fire and water, there is a race whence the powers originate. These are Sylvestris, Gnomus, Vulcanus and Undina, respectively. As we use each element, I will explain the basis of them if it is necessary. Unlike other magick, pure elemental magick works by will alone and so it does not require knowing how it works as such. Only those truly dedicated to their craft learn the science behind elemental magick. Not that I would not recommend it." She smiled.