Chapter Five

Andreas saw the hood fall back from her face as he turned towards Christian and passed his hand over the boy's face to still him. Looking up quickly, Andreas comprehended what his eyes showed him. Long black hair fell where golden waves should have. Green eyes stared back at him where there should have been [blue]. Smooth skin surrounded the eyes where laugh-lines should be.

"What are you doing here?" he hissed, Christian forgotten for the moment.

"She believed it prudent that someone stay behind. What is so important about this...boy that you needed all four of you here?" She replied. Andreas was momentarily taken aback. He had never noticed the icy tone in his Child before and wondered when it had begun.

"Serina..." he started, thinking that he must have been neglecting her more than he realized for her to be able to look at him with that much disdain. "You would not understand..."

"I think you will find I understand a lot more than you would know." She almost snarled at him. He tried hard to keep his composure. He opened his mouth to speak, but she continued, more softly, "which you would know if you were not so often absent."

"Serina, you know that as a Head, I cannot just abandon my duties. You have always known that. I have searched long for this boy in order to stop Michelle..."

"That traitor!" Serina mumbled. Andreas his a smile; so, she did not hate him entirely after all.

"Michelle wanted him and she found him first. I thought it important to stop her from finishing his siring and using him against us." Serina looked blankly at him for a few second and he wondered if he should remind her of the prophecy, but she began to nod slowly and he knew she understood.

"Perhaps you are right, Andreas..."

"So, you understand why she should have been here?" Andreas hoped that if he could get Serina to agree with him then it would make up for the absence.

"I suppose, but..."

"It is all right, we will talk about it later...I must finish his siring before it is too late." Andreas smiled at her and she returned a small smile.

Andreas turned back to Christian. The boy was looking very pale and his eyes stared blankly at the ceiling. Andreas took a deep breath, caught between the excitement that he would soon have this boy's power at his disposal, and the fear that they boy would have no power at all. Do not think about that, he thought to himself, just concentrate on getting the job done and then we shall see...

Andreas licked his lips and bared his fangs as he bent over to Christian's neck and bit deeply. The boy's blood was good, fresh and young, but there was something different about it that he could not quite place. He shook his head inwardly and focused on the boy's pulse, feeling for the time when it would nearly stop. As he drank, he began to feel warm and there was a unique buzz throughout him that he had never experienced before.

A few more minutes of drinking and his pulse began to stutter. Andreas pulled away and licked his lips once more. He pulled the sleeve back, exposing his left wrist, and bit into it. A much more metallic taste hit his mouth and he tried not to wince. Opening Christian's mouth slightly he held his wrist to the boy's mouth and encouraged him to drink. He began to feel the slight uncomfortable pull as Christian started drinking from him. When the pull began to increase, Andreas gently took his wrist away, watched as the teeth marks faded and wiped the boy's mouth clean.

"There. Now we can only wait and see." He said.

"Wait and see for what?" Serina asked, looking up.

Andreas was about to reply when the door opened quietly.

"Serina!" Luther walked in and Serina smiled at him warmly. Andreas fought the urge to yell at Luther, knowing he only had himself to blame for Serina's distance. Surely, the end justifies the means? He asked himself wearily.