six

the celebration

Niall hasn't seen or heard from Astrid since they parted ways at the curb of the airport.

Matt and Oscar finally met Astrid when they came to pick Niall up. The introduction was brief — quick hugs followed by goodbyes — because Astrid's uber arrived a few minutes later. She ordered it whilst they waited for their luggages. Somehow, in that short amount of time Oscar managed to make Astrid promise that she'll come and hang out with them soon. Just as she got into the uber, Niall leaned against the open window and told her that she didn't have to follow through with the promise unless she wanted to.

"I'd love to hang out with three of you soon," she had said to him before the uber driver started driving away.

That was over two weeks ago.

It's Thursday today and Niall has just gotten out of a meeting with the members of Chelsea's executive board. They're adamant on keeping him on the team so they offered a higher pay (higher than Manchester City's offer). They also made sure to tell him how valuable he is in the team and how he is possibly the best player, which he humbly denied because he could think of a few other names who could be considered as the best players.

There's Oscar and then there's Matt who are both very skillful on the field. There's also Tom who has improved tremendously since last season. That said, knowing that the executive board members think he's the best player is exactly the boost he needs for his confidence. As long as he does not let it get to his head and affect the way he plays. Overconfidence is not a good trait.

Niall makes his way to his car and as soon as he climbs into it, his phone starts ringing. Oscar's name flashes on the screen. No doubt he wants to know what Niall's decision was.

Instead of answering the phone call straightaway, Niall waits for a few more seconds. When he finally presses on the green button, he doesn't get the chance to say his hello.

"So, did you decide to stay with us or leave us?" Oscar asks.

"What'd you think?"

"I think that you're staying with us 'cause we're a fucking great team and you'd be an idiot to transfer to a different club."

Niall lets out a chuckle. Ever since his friends found out that Manchester City has taken interest in him, they have been making their feelings about this whole transfer thing very clear. They don't want him to accept the offer. But of course, they'd still support him if he thinks that transferring to another team is the best thing for him.

"You know me well, then."

"Damn right I do. Just like how I know you'd say yes to celebrating this news." Before Niall has the chance to protest, Oscar quickly adds, "Your place. Tonight."

And then he ends the call.

Niall pulls his phone away from his ear and looks at the screen. He could message Oscar and let him know that he'd rather not celebrate it but the thoughts of having people come over to his place don't sound so bad to him. He is feeling good about staying with Chelsea, after all, so there's no harm in celebrating it with a few of his friends. Well he hopes for a few but you'd never know when it comes to Oscar.

///

"If we're celebrating me, why do I have to help? Aren't I supposed to just sit around and do nothing?" Niall asks as he walks into the kitchen, carrying a few brown bags in his arms, with Oscar and Matt following closely behind. 

They came over a couple of hours ago and dragged him out of his house a few minutes later so they could get some essentials for the party: beer, chips, beer, ingredients to make guacamole and tomato salsa dip (Oscar is surprisingly amazing at making those two because he learned it from his grandma who always insisted on making him work in the kitchen when he's younger), and more beer.