Talk

Emani sat in the guest room of Shawn and Beyoncé's house with her head in her hands in deep thought.

"If only I would have been honest with them none of this would have happened. Well I probably would have still told my mom about herself but they wouldn't have cared about it this much. They care too much about school and every time they asked me how it was going I would lie. I only went to school if I had a test, if there was no test I'm might not be there. I guess going two or three times a week makes the school suspicious I wish I knew that in the beginning. Now I have nowhere to stay, no clothes and I know they don't trust me no more. Kelly is gonna seriously kill me when she gets back. I should have just told them what I was really doing. Now I'm in too deep." she thought.

While Emani was still in deep thought Shawn and Beyoncé walked into the room. Shawn knew she was feeling guilty because once again her head was in her hands. Shawn and Beyoncé sat on the couch in the room in front of Emani.

"Emani" Shawn said getting her attention.

She looked up from her hands and could tell he was still pissed because he kept calling her "Emani".

"So why haven't you been in school?" Shawn asked.

"I go" Emani said

"O.K. Let's rephrase. Why don't you go everyday like your suppose to?" Beyoncé asked.

"I don't know it's boring. I go when I know I have a test and my grades are O.K. so I don't see the point." Emani said.

"Well the point is it doesn't matter if your bored Emani. You’re supposed to be in school every day unless you’re sick. Now until your attendance is back up like it’s supposed to be no more dancing." Shawn said.

"What! You can't do that!" Emani yelled as she shoots up from where she was sitting.

"First of all I don't know who you yelling at so pipe down and sit down. You are staying here so those are the rules and if you think Kelly would have you still dancing you know she wouldn't and you know she's gonna kill you when she gets back. Now you have no clothes so later were going to Target..."

"Target!" Emani interrupted.

"Did you think you were going the Forever 21? You’re on punishment so until you get your shit together you will wear Target brand and be happy and you will be apologizing to your mother tomorrow." Shawn said as they got up to leave.

**********
Emani POV

It’s been a week and I’ve been in school all week, actually I’m in school as we speak. My friends thought it was weird that I was here all week until I told them Shawn found out and they just had the look of I told you so on their faces. Kelly is supposed to get back on Sunday and I don’t know what to do. I’m not going to lie I’m scared. I don’t know what she’s going to do. Besides that I know Shawn and Bey don’t trust me no more and are kind of still upset though. Bey has driven me to school every morning and picks me up every day. It sucks but what can I do? I apologized to my mother but she still doesn’t want me in the house. All I can do is try to do what I’m supposed to do and stay out of trouble but this school is so boring. I finished my work twenty minutes ago and I’m just sitting here, at least I got class with my friends and we sit at the same table. I guess you can say I got company while I’m bored.

Narrative POV

“Y’all done yet?” Emani asked her friends.

“Almost, we're not all as smart as you E” Jazmine said.

“Yeah, whatever y’all supposed to be advanced. I’m the one that’s never here.” Emani said laughing.

“Well since you got caught you’ll be here more often.” Jay said.

“Whatever, I can’t wait to get out of here.” Emani said.

“Why? You’re basically in a cell sitting at Shawn’s place.” Jazmine said.

“Well it’s better than sitting here. I can go to sleep and play with my nephews.” Emani said.

When Emani and her friends were talking her teacher came over to their table.

“Emani, you have early dismissal. Please hand in your assignment.” Her teacher said.

“Uhm, o.k.” Emani said confused as she handed in her assignment.

“Who’s picking you up?” Jay asked.

“I don’t know but I’ll see y’all Monday.” Emani said as she left the classroom.

As she walked down the hall she couldn’t figure out who wanted to pick her up. The first time she goes to school for five days straight someone wants to pick her up at noon, makes no sense. As Emani arrived at the office she didn’t see anyone that could be picking her up.

“Hey Ms. Johnson do you know who is supposed to be picking me up?” Emani asked the secretary who she almost knew on a personal level since freshman year.

“Yeah, your sister.” She said

“My what?” Emani said. Ms. Johnson always called Kelly her sister since that’s how she got on her pick up list.