Chapter 33

"Mrs.Alsina, I'll take you now." I stood up from my seat,and flatened out my pencil skirt as I walked inside my new lawyer's office. She closed the door behind me as I took a seat across from her desk.

"Im sorry about calling you last minute, but I thought it would be best for me to call last night." She fanned me off and smirked. "It's fine, what did you want to discuss? You were kind of vague on the phone, that's why I agreed to meet as soon as possible." I swalloed hard before answering.

"...I wanted to discuss the ins and outs of divorce." She lifted a brow. "Is this an impending divorce, or have you already filed?" I shook my head. "Neither really, I haven't decided, and I just wanted to weigh my options." She nodded. "As you should." She rolled her chair closer to her desk and pushed her glasses up on her nose.

"Well for starters." She started. "They are various types of divorce processes,collaborative law, mediation and litigation. First is, Collaborative law & mediation. You’ll work together with your spouse to come to an agreement that works for both of you and for your kids, if you have them. A divorce mediator is a neutral professional who sits down with both of you and your attorneys if you have them,to help you craft a settlement that resolves all the issues in your divorce."

I nodded my head slowly, taking in everything she was saying. "Litigation means that for various reasons the case must be managed by a judge. This type of divorce usually take place when both parties can't come to a resolution." I sighed.

"...Alright...what's next?" She leaned back into her seat and got comfortable. "Next, as your lawyer, I have to get to know you and your situation to figure out what's best for you." I nodded. "Okay, yeah, you can ask me questions." I sat back in my seat, feeling slightly nervous about this.

"Okay,first things first, how long have you been married?" I sighed. "Almost six years." She nodded. "Do you have any kids?" "Yes, I have a six year old daughter." She took out a pen and a paper and began to write. "You said you were just here to ask questions and weigh your options, does that mean you and your spouse haven't discussed divorce at all?" I nodded.

"No we haven't." I said in a sigh. "Okay, now on to the important stuff, so you have a six year old daughter with your spouse, will you have primary custody of your daughter?" I nodded. "Most likely, yes I will." She wrote something down and looked back up at me. "You also have a right to child support if you need it, is that something you would consider?" I frowned and shook my head no. "No, Im more than positive that my husband will still be there financially for our daughter." She nodded.

"Okay and with that being said, is your spouse the bread winner of the family." I paused before answering. "...Technically, yes." She wrote something down while nodding. "Okay, did the two of you sign a prenup?" I shook my head. "No we didn't."

"Will you be financially stable, if you two do so happen to divorce?"I nodded my head yes. "Yes, I will." She smirked. "That's good, most women aren't." She took a deep breath before continiuing. "What do you know about you and your spouses bills? Are they paid equally?" I sighed. "...We pay the morgage equally, all the other bills, my husband usually takes care of." She was silent.

"Is your name on your house? Or is his name on the house?" "Both of our names are." She nodded. "Alright, since you both own your home, will you be dividing the property or will one of you take ownership for it?" I sighed, not knowing the answer to her question.

"..Im not sure." She nodded. "Okay that's fine, what do you know about you guys' finances?" I was silent for a second. "...We both deal with our finances." I said in a sigh. She sat her pen down and looked at me.

"You have alot of things to think about Mrs.Alsina, I suggest you go home and do your research, and if this is really something you want to go through with, then give me a call." I nodded. "Our meeting today is strictly confidential, your husband wont be notified until you actually take action and start the divorce process if that's what you decide."Okay.. thank you for your time." I stood up from my seat and shook her hand before leaving.