Prologue

6 years old.

In consideration of the rotating world, it was unexpected for a child to have many burdens heavily pressed on their shoulders. Not only in consideration of the future, but the path they wished to take as a human being and the people they wanted to be surrounded by. For Zeryu, it was a thought that rushed through her mind constantly—in her training as a substitute soul reaper, as a rising swordswoman, in learning what it meant to be a hero and what it meant to be a villain. 

Her parents were oblivious to the bags on her shoulders. Perhaps it was due to her endless rounds of happiness or her odd maturity, but they did not know of the thoughts that plagued her every single day and night. She made no intention to tell them either, stubborn in finding her own path with no help from others; a feat that would be close to impossible. 

What did she want to be?

What did she want to do?

As a soul reaper in hiding, what could she do to help people?

So many thoughts and questions despite being a child, and yet so many went unanswered. A pitstop in which she did not know how to break; an obstacle she could not jump over. She was neither adult nor adolescent, but a growing child that knew too much but also knew too little of the world. She trained and fought with her older peers, but there was no intention behind her thrusts or reasons behind her attacks. 

She trained, but they lacked motivation. She ran, but she did not know where she was going. Zeryu was at a loss: at what to do and how she could move forward. She felt that she should ask for answers, but she had a feeling it was not one that someone could simply tell her like a math equation. She had to find it soon, she knew she had to or her training would mean nothing. Without reason or purpose, her power would never develop into what she wanted it to be.

“Hey! You!” a boy called out to her. He had ash-blonde hair; it was super spiky and reminded her of a baby porcupine. His eyes were crimson red and something about them drew her to him. “The one in the tree! Get down from there!”

At first, Zeryu didn’t feel like coming down from the tree or interacting with anyone. So rather than listening to the mysterious male, she only pulled her knees into her chest and stared at him with those brown orbs of hers. Of course, her actions did little to hide herself, seeing as her bright, sunset-red hair stood out within the grassy leaves. 

“Don’t ignore me!” the ash-blonde pouted, seemingly angered by her actions. “Hey! Listen to me! Stupid girly!” 

Zeryu figured it wouldn’t hurt to talk. It wouldn’t hurt to make friends with others either; and who knows, she might feel better if she talked with this rather strange boy. Something about him was intriguing and sparked her curiosity. His eyes shone something she felt she was lacking in herself as a person.

“Who are you?”

He seemed rather happy by her response. A grin spread across his lips, hands on his hips with a proud expression on his face. “I’m Katsuki Bakugou! Remember it, because I’m going to be the Number 1 Hero like All Might!”

“Like All Might?” she remembered the name. He was titled as the Symbol of Peace; a treasure amongst the people and even talked well amongst the soul reapers. Although, she didn’t care much for heroes, he happened to be one of her favourites. “Why?”

Something seemed to click in place as the male started to speak. His eyes sparkled with admiration and ambition; the goal to be something better than what was currently happening. To be someone that could help others, beat villains and save the world. He did not waver in his strife to be the best of the best, and although she knew little of him, something told her that no matter what anyone said about him, he would stay loyal to his thoughts. 

“Ha? Are you stupid?” Katsuki asked. “It’s because he always wins his fight! He’ll never lose against those dumb villains! I wanna be able to do that too! And I will!”

Oh, she knew why she felt compelled to talk to him. He had something she didn’t have. He had goals, ambitions and made a purpose to his life. He was a child, but he knew more about himself than she knew herself despite her intelligence. If she wanted to be a good soul reaper; if she wanted to be the best substitute soul reaper, she had to stop faltering.

She had to make up her mind: why did she trained to be a soul reaper? Because despite never having faced such a hardship herself, she did not want others to experience the pain of death, whether it was others or herself. Soul or human, she would protect them from the perils of the world no matter what it was. 

What could she do to help the people? With the powers that she had without revealing the nature of Soul Reapers? She would be a hero; no, she would be a soul reaper in disguise of a hero, skilled in the way of the blade and even more powerful combined with her spiritual power. She will no longer waver in her fight and she would fight with no other aim.

She was a protector; and protect that she shall.

“Oi, what about you? What’s your name?”

In the back of her mind, she decided to protect the ash-blonde down below—because if not for him, she knew she would be wandering aimlessly in her thoughts with nowhere to go. She jumped down from the tree, landing in front of him and grinning a wide one. 

“Zeryu! Zeryu Kurosaki! And I’m gonna be a hero too!”