Bitter Consequences

Heavy as lead was the silence between the siblings. Ginny tried to grasp what Ron had implied and what Madame Pomfrey had said, yet it was in vain, she couldn't believe it. It could impossibly be true.

Resolutely Ginny strut to the high doors that sealed the hospital wing. She needed certification, after all.

"What are you doing? Madame Pomfrey had forbidden us to enter." Ron objected.

"Do you perhaps see her here anywhere?" She demanded and opened the door anyway despite his complaints.

"No, she's probably in the great hall with everyone else." He replied weakly.

The battle of Hogwarts had caused deaths and countless injured. Too many people for the hospital wing to bear. They had to use the great hall instead. Only Harry was at the ward. After Voldemort's downfall, Professor McGonagall had insisted that Harry got checked through, away from prying eyes, to get some well-needed rest. She knew to well what he could expect from next days and weeks. Seventeen years ago, only as an infant, Harry was already called a hero, what he'll be, now that Voldemort was finally defeated, was unimaginable.

"Are you coming, or not?" Ginny didn't wait for any reaction though and walked in.

In past months Ron had broken several rules, yet to go against Madame Pomfrey's explicit orders made him feel uncomfortable.

To the left and right of Ginny, several beds were abandoned, but she had no eyes for this. Her full attention was instead on the couple caught in a warm, close embrace at the far end of the hospital wing. From afar, she could hear Hermione how she kept talking without full stop. Several times the browned haired woman broke the embrace to look over Harry, that he was indeed fine, only to hold him close to her again.

"Hermione, I'm fine, really." Harry amusedly stopped her.

"I'm just so relieved that you are alive!" Ginny heard her excuse.

"Harry." More didn't come over Ginny's lips.

She was much too moved now that she finally saw him. Hermione let Harry go when she saw Ginny and in the back Ron also.

Randomly Ginny's eyes roamed over Harry from his face to his hands. Either they were to dirty or covered by Hermione's right one, yet she could see something glitter on Hermione's left hand instead. Obviously, she noticed how Ron and Ginny kept staring at them, though it was too late, she tried to hide her hand anyway. Hoped they hadn't gotten to the right conclusion.

"Ginny." A surprised Harry said but didn't seem to have any intention to get close to her.

"It is true then?" It was a rhetorical question; they didn't just see it at their wedding rings but written all over their faces too.

Silently Harry and Hermione exchanged a look before she turned away from him and her back to Ginny.

"I don't understand, are you in love with her, Harry?" Ginny remained surprisingly calm, though her eyes told a whole different story.

In a thousand pieces shattered her heart at the thought her Harry felt in love with another woman, while she had hoped, prayed here at Hogwarts to see him again. Not any woman but Hermione, who she had shared over the years all her dreams. In an afterthought it wasn't all that unexpected, really, Harry and Hermione had always been close, too close for just to be friends.

"Wait, you're really married to each other?" Ron piped up, shocked, but it soon turned into anger.

Demonstratively Harry raised his left hand, despite the dirt and blood there could be seen a golden ring glittering on his finger.

"You have something going on with each other, get married and tell me nothing about it?" Ron's voice became louder by the second.

"Ronald!" Hermione overruled him.

"What? You played with me for months and as soon as I was out of the picture you marry my best friend!" He roared at her and started to move closer.

"She isn't in love with me, neither I'm with her." said Harry hotly.

"But -" Ginny didn't understand anything anymore.

"We were desperate -"

"Didn't think we would make it." At nearly the same time, both Harry and Hermione tried to explain.

Silence set in, and they all looked at another.

"Oh." It dawned Ron that he wasn't that innocent at the current situation.

"Harry, but getting married immediately, I don't understand either of you?" Ginny looked alternate from Harry to Hermione.

"I didn't want to die without ever having a family of my own and Hermione," Harry began and took Hermione's hand in his. "fulfilled me this wish."

Ginny opened her mouth to reply, but Harry came her before.

"And, no, I don't regret this decision!"

"We certainly can get a divorce." Hermione said quietly.

To Harry's astonishment, Ginny started to laugh hysterical by these words, while Ron looked questioningly at Hermione as if she spoke a different language.

"Divorce?" Ron asked.

"Unbelievable," Ginny exclaimed, "Divorce, like by muggles, don't exist in the magical world. If we marry, then forever. I can't believe that you didn't know this or does either of you know a single witch or wizard living in Divorce?"

"There has to be -"

"No, you don't understand, Hermione, there is no way out."

"There is," Ron put in triumphantly. "if the marriage wasn't consummated."

A little secret, neither Harry nor Hermione ever planned to tell, was about to be revealed. Helplessly Harry looked at Hermione, who in turn started to blush. All too well, he could remember the intimate night they had shared, how they had touched each other.