Hesitant Awakening

In stripes, the golden light found its way into the room, and bit by bit illuminated Harry's face. It was unusual for him to wake up in warmness and this well-rested. If this wasn't extraordinary enough, he felt a warm body next to his too. One arm laid lazily over his breast while someone breathed rhythmically against his neck.

Harry confusedly blinked, where was he? It's not that he wanted to complain, really, it was seldom to awake from such a refreshing slumber but therein lied the problem. It just didn't fit into his chaotic life to feel like that. Gradually he looked down on himself and discovered, aside from brown locks draped all over the pillow, the peaceful and carefree face of Hermione. Fascinated at this sight, Harry couldn't look away; he was too consumed by working out just how much his life had changed.

Months ago, he could remember vividly, Hermione had dark rings under her eyes, her skin had been in an unnatural white shade, but presently nothing of this could be seen anymore. The gruesome, the life-threatening had vanished from her facial features, and her natural beauty was again untroubled. Unintentional, unconscious, he stroked her cheek while he still tried to figure out what had happened. Slowly, hesitate even Hermione's eyelids began to flutter and then their eyes locked. He was just about to withdraw his hand when Hermione laid hers on top of his.

"Hey." He whispered.

"Hey yourself." She grinned.

To Harry's amusement, she then began to turn and stretch herself extensively.

"How did you sleep?" Hermione inquired after she sat up.

"Well, really well." He sat up too.

"Better than on the floor, I assume." She began self-righteously. "And if I look you over, I didn't bit you either."

"It's my luck." He counters. "And before you decide to change that, I'll get up and use the bathroom."

With this, he left the bed and a speechless Hermione behind, who decided to lay back down unto the mattress.

"Sleepyhead." He commended.

Harry could duck just in time to avoid being hit by a flying pillow. Heartly he laughed while he entered the corridor and closed the door behind himself. When he was about to get into the bathroom, he saw Jane walking towards him.

"Good morning, Harry, did you sleep well?" She greeted him.

Surprised, he only could nod his head.

"Fine, do you perhaps have a moment for me?"

"Of course, Mrs. - I mean, Jane." He stammered, she made him nervous.

"Well, to be frank with you, I'm worried. You're so young to be married already." Jane began, but Harry could see how troubled she was.

"I know." and secretly, he felt terrible.

"Don't get me wrong, Harry, it's nothing against you as a person or that I accuse you of anything. After all, you're young, way too young for living through such horrors." She hurriedly added at the guilt-stricken face of the young man in front of her.

"I'm worried that you'll both might regret this decision in future and I don't know what Hermione will do if she loses you as a friend as well."

Surprised, Harry looked up.

"You fear Hermione could lose me?" He examined in amazement.

Jane smiled softly at him, and he obviously had no idea what a significant part he had in her daughter's life.