Chapter 8

Belinda:

“The humans here only notice the changes to fish and weather, yet the most experienced among them express their fear of change. They somehow feel that change is coming and they are unsure of what it will mean, fearing that the change will be significant for their lives and livelihood. Yet their concept of change is nebulous and not defined. They seem to accept me now, however. I shall ask more of them as time progresses. I still need access to outside communication. This will necessitate further trips to the mainland if communication remains limited here.” Vanessa looked worried as she said it.

All three of us considered her summary, seated around the table in the main cabin of the vessel. There was good reason why the local humans accepted her, but as long as Maria and I remained aboard the vessel and avoided the humans, we would not blend as well with their community. Still, if she sent us to the mainland to glean information from computers, we would stand out far more than we did here.

Maria voiced my own thoughts. “Our knowledge of human computer technology is limited. No one else could undertake this but you.”

Vanessa’s smile was rueful. Perhaps she, too, had been thinking in a similar vein to me. “Yet I am the most accepted on the land, here, too. I cannot be in two places at once. If communication were improved here, I could use the technology to search for information from the islands, in the afternoons and evenings once my fishing duties are complete. Whilst you swim, don’t forget to listen to the humans on land. They may confide in each other what they do not speak of to us.”

The sound of a footfall on the coral shingle had us all looking toward the land. A human had moved onto the coral path.

“There is a human outside your land house, Vanessa. It appears that he is a new deckhand for the Dolphin to replace the one who was injured,” I remarked.

Maria’s words were as dark as the shirt she removed as she glared at the new human. “I hope this one has better manners.”

“He certainly has a physique which is more pleasing to the eye. His upper body musculature is well defined and his rear is particularly shapely.” Vanessa was thoughtful.

I tried not to laugh. “A cute bum and big muscles don’t say anything about his manners, Vanessa.” Sometimes human words were more expressive, particularly when using the vernacular to describe human anatomy.

“I didn’t say he had a cute bum, Belinda.” She inclined her head, clearly evaluating him. “I would say he has a damn fine arse.”

All three of us laughed. Nothing was as funny as one of our people admiring a human, for it was so unlikely. Humans were a source of information or products. They produced what we needed and were used accordingly; contact was as limited as necessary to ensure our people remained hidden from them.

I started to remove my clothing in preparation for a night-time swim.

Vanessa gathered her choice of fish. “I will go and speak with him, so that I may examine him more closely.” She took one fish in each hand and started down the jetty toward the human.

Maria and I slid over the side of the vessel and sank into the water, watching.

I kept my voice low as I addressed my comment to Maria. “Why do I feel this new human means trouble for us all?”