CHAPTER 24: My emotional rollercoaster #38279

After the door closed behind Miranda, I just continued to lay on my bed giving in to my spinning thoughts. Trouble falling asleep wasn't new to me and I found it best to not battle the thoughts and just let them spin and spin until I finally fell asleep.

Otherwise I would just stress about the fact that I could not fall asleep and then stress about not getting enough sleep which ended up waking me up instead relaxing me.

I had just reached the stage in which I couldn't consciously tell anymore whether I was awake or dreaming when a knock on the door brought me back to my awake state.

Who could this possibly be?

What could they possibly want?

Had Miranda come back to tell me that the AML had found us and that we needed to leave?
No that could not be.

We were supposedly safe here.

So what in god's name and everyone who likes him could be so important that it couldn't wait for after I had gotten enough sleep?
I had also just found the right position in which I felt comfortable in my bed.
The pillow under my head was finally just the right angle now and my blanket covered just enough of my body to keep me warm but not to overheat me.

I wouldn't get up out of bed for anything at the moment.

Who did they think they are?

It knocked again.

Dammit.
Why did the knocker made it so hard for me to ignore them?
Also, now that I came to think about it, there was really nobody who could want something from me.
The Vampires were more interested in Paul Herford and Miranda, then they were in me and I bet they knew where they were and would not come to look for them here.

Maybe Miranda had come back?
But she had keys to the room... except if she forgot to take them when she left to see Lars.
Another knock, this time louder and longer.
Argh stop!

„If this isn't Miranda who has forgotten her keys to this room you better go away! What ever you have to say to me can wait until I've slept!", I yelled full of misery, despair and tiredness.

I was prepared to fully ignore anyone not Miranda answer in from outside the door.

I kind of hoped it wasn't her.

I wanted to be on my own a little while longer.
The knocking stopped and I could hear a small, male voice squeaking from behind the door: „So it's true, Miranda is back?"
Damn it.
Paul Herford was the only other person I had to let in I guess.
I did not think he would show up, I just assumed that, with the situation being so serious and all, the Queen and her people would just occupy him a little longer.
Boris even had said, „might" join us later.
Reluctantly I got up and more or less toddled over to the door.
When I opened it, Paul Herford's tired but excited face grinned at me.
Oh no, he seemed to be in a good mood.
He better not annoy me to death.
„Where is she?", he said and pushed past me into the room.
I rolled my eyes and closed the door behind him.
„She is checking up on Lars, he had to have surgery.", I filled him in while going back to my bed and sitting down on it.
Paul Herford inspected everything in the room, the window and the dresser and even had a look into the bathroom.
Did he think I was lying to him and I was hiding her somewhere?
Finally, he sat down on the other bed. „How long has she been gone? When will she come back?"
I shrugged. „I don't know how long it's been, I kind of have been asleep...?", I answered.

„Okay, until she comes back I'll talk to you then, I have things to discuss with you, too.", he said without taking my passive aggressive hint.

„Can't this wait until I've gotten some sleep?", I asked.
He shook his head. „I don't think so, this is pretty time sensitive."
I yawned, crossed my arms in front of my chest. „Fine. What is it?"
Paul Herford took a deep breath. „Okay. So. You know how I had to talk to my sister right?"
I nodded.
How could I forget.
I almost got shot making this rendevouz happen.
„We got to talk to her in time, which was very good,", he continued, „but she says that we are vulnerable now. She is afraid that they will either try to trick her again or, even worse, really try to capture me this time. She said she cannot let this happen for my safety and the safety for our people and therefore summoned me to stay with her at her place until the situation is resolved. So long story short: We're leaving for Europe tomorrow."
I did not want to show any reaction to what he had to say.
As a punishment for making me talk to him.
To show him that nothing, I repeat nothing, was important enough right now.
But.
You guys.
Europe.
I had never been before.
I had always wanted to go.