Chapter One

Night's Note: This is my first short story I am posting on here, there is about four-five chapters of this left, but it won't be a full length novel. Anyway, feedback or constructive feedback would be great. 

Dedication to katezee1997 for the front cover and being my first fan. 

==================================================================

Janette's Cave

Chapter One

Seven Years Ago. 

The walls were a pale colour, sometimes they look white, sometimes gray. Though, she doesn't see in colours. She doesn't know what to call them. 

She doesn't know what colour to call her dirty blue shirt, or her pale red comforter on her bed that is too small for her. Though, she never questions it. She doesn't question anything. 

Sometimes she sits for hours on end, sitting on that bed until her muscles can't take it and she needs to stand. Janette learned to walk on her own, using the small table that lay broken in the middle of the room. Someone taught her how to talk a long time ago, though they stopped coming around. Food comes when she is asleep, Janette eating the small portion of food there was and learned to leave the plate by the door. 

If she doesn't do that, the tray won't be picked up and taken away. She learned that the hard way when she left a try by her bed and it wasn't picked up ever again. Small little creatures came and ate the small scraps there, some of them getting in her hair and made her head itch. 

The tray is replaced by another the next day, she only gets fed once. Even if she grows hungry during the day, no more food comes. She never sees the thing that gives her food, or the door open. Janette sometimes would sit at the door for a day, pressing her cheek against the small crack in the door and tried to look at what was behind it. 

All she ever saw was darkness, so she assumed that there was nothing out there. Just darkness and the food is brought by some unknown force or entity. Though, food wasn't the only things they brought. 

On the odd days, there would be some clothing that Janette has learned that she needs to wear to keep the small creatures from biting and making her skin itch. Though, the clothes only came when the ones she wore got too small. 

Other than that, nothing ever really happened in her small room. Everything remanded still and silent. Janette, when bored or lonely, would run around the small space, making noises that she could remember hearing from a dream or distant memory. She would clap her hands together and stomp her bare feet against the floor until they hurt. They made noise and she wanted some sort of noise. 

Then, she would sit. 

And sit. 

And sit. 

--

Then, one day, everything changed.

Janette heard something moving, unknown noises rousing her from her light sleep. She lifted her head slowly, blinking. She wondered if she dreamed it, sitting up in her bed. The noises grew louder, her heard beating faster when she heard voices and words. 

She hadn't heard voices and words in such a long time, though it frightened her. This was too different, there wasn't supposed to be anything outside the metal door. But, she could hear something moving and getting closer to her door. 

Janette jumped up, running over to the table in the middle of the room, pulling herself under. She got a face full of cob webs, making her stop and figure out what it was for a few moments. Though, she couldn't get far enough under the table to hide. She pulled herself out, standing and heading over to her bed. She sat down on the mattress and pulled her skinny legs up to her chest. She watched the door intently, shaking slightly.