Family Differences

The day has been incredibly strange. While you will never complain about having the entire day to spend with Genji and his master, the circumstances are just strange. They've dragged you to location and back through the compound, acting none the wiser to their behavior. Luckily, most of afternoon is spent in leisure and meditation. Admittedly, it's a great hobby for someone of your temper. Even so, there's a tenseness to Genji's posture, a detail you've been keen to watching. You assume it's due to the sudden voices in on the other side of the gymnasium. You try to ignore them yourself, lost in the gentle thrum of the iris, but eventually grow too curious of the disruption.

It's in that moment when everything clicks.

You knew there was something everyone was keeping you from seeing today! Of all things, it had to be that backstabbing brother of your incredibly amazing boyfriend. With the sound of crackling smoke, a surge of heat uncontrollably rises above your head.

"Darling, might I ask as to why your hair is on fire?" Genji asks, despite not having looked in your direction. The intense heat makes it obvious.

You want to be upset with your sneaky boyfriend, trying to protect his brother from your wrath. You've never been capable of being agitated with your boyfriend for long, but this is difficult. Logically, you should adhere to Genji's wishes of not confronting his brother. It's a good thing you've almost always done what you want anyway then, hmm?

Rather than answering the question, you give Zenyatta a small and genuine apologetic smile before standing quickly. Hopefully, he'll understand this isn't meant as a means to neglect his teachings.

"Is something the matter, flame child?" Zenyatta asks in an attempt to quell your perceived anger with humor. Any other time, you would take a deep breath and laugh, but this time is different.

"I believe I understand now. However, I loath to admit that nothing will quell my current rage." With that, you storm off abruptly. You're on a mission and no amount of meditating is going to stop you. Genji and his master sit puzzled for a moment before following where your line of sight is going, and then they panic. A surprisingly lengthy string of Japanese curses and pleading calls of your name follow after you, but you're already well into the vicinity of the dragon wielder.

A few others seem to have noticed your appearance because the tension soars through the roof. You seem to either ignore it or figuratively cut through it and continue with your target in sight. Hanzo Shimada is speaking with 76 and Winston, most likely discussing living arrangements or mission results. Unfortunately for him, he's turned away so he doesn't see the literal elemental storm out to kill him.

A flash of blue zips in front of you, stopping you in your path. Tracer, the smart woman she is, latches onto your arms so you won't just brush past her. Lena begins some sort of practiced speech but you simply keep walking forward, albeit slower now.

"Get off of me. I simply want to talk."

"We both know that's not the case, love. Please just walk away." Tracer says gently. Her stance and grip on your arms indicates that she knows this isn't your normal emotional self.

"What makes you think so?" The almost cheerful time of your voice might have convinced some people, but there's an underlying malice that gives you away.

It's with that comment that Hanzo finally looks at your approaching figure. Despite Soldier's best attempts to lead him away from the area, Hanzo's curiosity can't be quelled. You take advantage of his attention and turn up the heat on your body enough for Lena to finally release you. You'll succumb to guilt later and apologize, but your current mood is directing your brain power towards one goal.

Beating the shit out of Hanzo Shimada.

"Stand down [Y/L/N], you know this won't solve anything!" 76 says, trying to reason with you.

"Don't fight my battles for me, 76! Now you–" Even Hanzo isn't prepared for you to literally snatch his wrist and practically throw him into the boxing ring. "–are gonna fight me now. I'm not giving you the choice."

"What is the meaning of this?! Under what authority–"

"Hi! I'm Genji's girlfriend and you piss me the hell off." You interrupt.

Despite not getting a proper answer, Hanzo is intelligent enough to realize that this is going nowhere until he agrees to your demand. So he buries his confusion and makes a show of sighing and getting into a fighting position. At the first signal of a mutual battle, you blatantly make the first aggressive attack.

The fight goes about as well as everyone expected. There's a dynamic difference in your fighting styles, but they surprisingly balance each other out. Neither of you can get the ultimate upper hand and it drags out the fight. The conclusion, however, is anticlimactic after the intense display of martial prowess from each party. Without warning, the sprinkler system above the ring goes off and douses you both. It's mildly bothersome for Hanzo as he'll dry off in a few minutes. You on the other hand, seem to completely extinguish as your flames die out.

If he wasn't watching the steam rise above you, Hanzo might have believed a tea kettle was overheating.

It's clear that you are not calm in the slightest, but have come down to a reasonable level. The water appears to have lengthened your circuit but there's still a gracefully uptight way to your stride when approaching Hanzo. Half of him anticipates another brawl, but he only receives an rigid glare.

"Genji might have forgiven you, but that doesn't mean I'm just going to let this slide." You grab hold of his shirt collar, surprising him when you manage to lift his feet slightly off the floor. "If you want my respect, you're gonna have to earn it."

Hanzo expects to see a furious glow in your gaze and hatred in your scowl but despite your irritation, he's taken aback when there's only a small poor of tears in your eyes. You wait until Hanzo sputters at the intense heat emitting from your gripped palms and then dramatically let go.

"This isn't over, Shimada." He doesn't get to dignify that with a response as you're already halfway to the exit. He's secretly amazed to watch as your hair bursts into a brilliant crimson while still looking like a drenched kitten. You pause in front of Genji, not saying anything but seeming to have an entire conversation with one look. Finally, you just kiss the side of Genji's face plate and continue walking. Hanzo cannot believe that that was the same person who had wanted to pummel him just two minutes prior.

There's a collective sigh once you leave the room, like a cloud hanging over everyone's head finally clearing. You're likely finding a way to burn off energy but even that can lead to trouble. 76 directs a few others to follow after you in the effort to either calm you faster or prevent any permanent damage to other equipment.

A metal hand clasps onto Hanzo's shoulder. "So, I see you met my girlfriend." Genji teases.

Hanzo sighs to give off the illusion of annoyance, but Genji has always been able to see right through him. He'll never admit it, but you have a mean left hook. "They are the one you've chosen to court?"

"Aren't they lovely? That fire in their spirit is quite spectacular to watch."

"They singed my shirt, brother."

This time Genji sighs, including the hiss of his body letting out steam. "I'll but you a new one."

A particular request that I enjoyed. It's not often I get to write an angry reader.