Chapter Three

Chapter Three

            Her throat was tight. She felt as though she could literally see, maybe even touch the tension in the air. They had been driving for ten minutes and counting, her vision ahead but her mind reeling with miscellaneous thoughts. She had so many questions for the silent man, for starters what in the hell was he doing out in the snow in nothing but a t shirt and jeans? The second more logical side of her was racking her brain for ways a man could survive such a hit without a bruise or scratch. It was like he was some superhe-

        '"Are you a superhero?" the words fell from her mouth before her mind could register what an absurd thing she had just asked.

        "A what?" his deep voice was laced in confusion.

        "Ya know, a superhero like Superman, Batman, Black Widow?"

        "Why would you think that?" He asked her, his tone sounding generally intrigued.

        "Well," she took a pause, "I'm trying to find a logical explanation for how you are functioning properly after being hit head on by a truck."

            She watched Roman warily from the corner of her eye, he was stiff, it looked almost painful if you'd asked her. He was silent, his brows sewn together tightly as he stared forward. He didn't answer in fact he didn't speak again until she pulled up to his house.

            "I'm sorry for the dent," his voice was deep and slow as he turned to face her, "You can bring it around here Friday and I'll fix it if you'd like?"

             Mia studied the man, in all honesty she'd never really gotten a good look at him before, the first time-in the coffee shop- it was a quick meeting involving her fumbling with the coffee machine and him slamming some money on the table before rushing out. He was quite handsome in an unconventional way. He was rough and worn, with tired eyes and scars coating what visible parts of his body she could see.

            "I-I'd like that. Thank you, Roman." she spoke softly, "I'm really really sorry for hitting you. I hope you can forgive me." she chuckled.

            Roman didn't reply, he observed her for a few seconds before he got out of her car and made his way up the long driveway. Mia observed his home. It was extremely large and well hidden away from the road, covered in vines and shrubbery. It was seemingly beautiful, so kept, and so unlike what she imagined. The home was made of stone with large windows and a gorgeous landscape.