Chapter 3

RHK 3||

I had no clue as to where I currently was. Sitting on a large rock in the forest at night, and quite frankly, I didn't care. Anywhere was better than being in that house right now. Far away from mom.

How dare she — the woman who I had thought to be my main supporter; despite the choices I make in life — try to force the decision of being a nurse down my throat? And how dare she doubt my talents? It's one thing to be told off by friends, but when your own flesh and blood does it, there are no words to describe how messed up that is. No amount of words could describe the emotional hurt that could dwindle all physical wounds to a dull numbness.

I thought a mother's job is to make her child happy. Isn't that how it should be?

Maybe I've been too naive, or just plain ignorant to see that I had been everything but happy over the years.

No... that's wrong.

I've known all along. I just didn't want to accept it.

I mean, how could anyone be happy to have others make decisions for them, without their say in anything?

No one.

Feeling a tear descend from the corner of my eye, I furiously wiped the salty fluid away.

         It's time to be a big girl now, and big girls don't cry.

Sia's voice played through my mind. She really should get her facts straight about her song. In reality, it's ironically the biggest girls who cry the most. Tough girls may think they're bad female dogs but deep down they're emotionally fragile and are prone to hurt easily.

Mom's reasons for talking down to me earlier does not justify the fact that I will not be attending those classes in the morning. I just wished she had been smart enough to not waste her money on an program I would not be participating in. And why enroll me in a college... in Scotland, of all places? Where's the logic in that? There are better Universities back home. I could definitely list five off the top of my head.

I sighed before resting my head in both hands.

Mommy-dearest is most likely still upset, so I'll give her some time to cool off before I go back. I needed a time out as well.

...

I took a quick glimpse at my wrist to check the time on my watch. I think half an hour is enough time to cool off. I'll go back...but...

I looked around, not reconizing a bush, nor pebble, nor tree that lead back to the cabin.

Which direction was it again?

Perhaps this was a bad idea. A very bad idea indeed, I thought to myself as I looked aimlessly for the way back to my temporary home.

Let this be a life lesson for everyone: When it's your first time visiting a country on vacation, NEVER wander off on your own. Especially at night.

"Okay Katrina, no need to panic. I'll just wait here until dad comes. Makes no sense wandering around if I don't know where I'm going;  I'll just end up even more lost."

Yeah right. It's been well over 30 minutes. If dad was coming he'd be here by now, don't you think?  My subconscious just had to blast me with its pessimistic feedback on my idea. I had half a mind to tell it to buzz off but I had to admit. It made good points.

I tensed at the sound of bushes rustling behind me. I knew it was presumptuous of me to think there were dangerous animals lurking out in these woods, but I hadn't anticipated being out here, alone in the dark. I have little to no experience on handling wildlife.

I dare not look back. I've seen this in horror movies, and from most scenarios that happen when the character is alone in the dark, nothing good ever happens when you turn around. The best course of action would be to run, sprint, speed walk; which ever choice works best with you.

I was having this feeling when you think someone, or something is watching you. I could practically feel their eyes boaring into me. Against my better judgement I decide to turn around, fearing the worst would happen if I didn't. Maybe it's dad, a girl could only be hopeful.

Taking a deep breath I slowly, ever so slowly, turned my head. "Dad?" I called out softly, making sure to keep my voice low.

Silence, accompanied by a cold gust of wind brushing past my face, was my only response. I shivered and wrapped my arms around myself. Was I hearing things?

Yet that uneasy feeling still continued to nag me. Mock me.

You're being paranoid Katrina. It was probably just the wind. You need to stop watching so many horror movies. You're starting to scare yourself now.

Rustle.

Being paranoid my butt!

I felt my heartbeat increase at an inhumane sound; an ear-ringing cry of an animal screaming out in agony. It sent chills down my spine and the feeling of dred gripped at my chest. Moments later, the cry abruptly ceased, leaving behind an eerie sense of silence that amplified the pounding in my chest. My heart was thumping so loud, I could literally hear each beat pulsing through my ears.

What the hell was that?!

My answer is horrifically answered when something drops to the ground right infront of me. I nearly screamed, having to cover my mouth in shock as I swiftly jumped off the rock. Ripples of pain spiraled from my ankles to the nape of my neck when my feet hit the ground, but the pain is quickly ignored at the sight of the animal before me. 

A deer laid lifeless in a painful, back-breaking position I didn't think was even possible for an animal of its high stature. It's eyes were rolled back in an ugly death. I gagged at the amount of blood staining it's fur, mainly around the stomach. I had seen gore on T.V. but no amount of visual aid could prepare me for this.

What the-

Gurrr!

All color drained itself from my face when another animal emerged from the bush, baring its sharp, teeth.

Why Mr. Wolf, what lovely teeth you have.

The blood of its recently hunted victim descended down its large jaw in narrow lines. It's eyes gleamed like saphires in comparison to it's unusual black fur, making the creature blend in with the darkness around it. And, by the size of this beast, it was definitely a fully grown, life-threatening wolf. 

My first instinct was to walk backwards; away from the creature as it began to dine on its meal. Who was I to interrupt its feeding time when I'm no different from its dinner; another walking piece of fine meat he could eat without a care?

Watching the wolf eat was something the National Geophraphic documentary on wolves could never cover. Or they simply edited the video, cutting out the graphic details for the children so they wouldn't be scarred for life. It was simply disgusting, yet I couldn't stop myself from gazing. I feared if I took my eyes off him for just a second to turn and run, he'd lunge out and kill me on the spot.

Snap!

Damn. It was just my luck a twig had to snap underneath my foot, causing the wolf to divert its attention towards me. 

I didn't wait for him to fully take in my presence, I ran. Sprinting headlong into the abysmal-looking forest, screaming at the top of my lungs.

"DADDY!!"

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

Anyone else thought this chapter was similar to a Wolf story? Is it just me?