Chapter 10: Iskalon's Sacrifice: Stasia

Stasia drew herself up, pulling back from Glace. She could not let him weaken her resolve. Casser's eyes bored into hers as she turned to face him. The crowd below them was chaos. Larc's voice rang high above the crowd as she tried to organize the Icers, and Kiner's harsh voice soon joined hers. The human Warriors were already heeling to Glace. But the Council was engaged in a knot of shouting matches, the other non-fighting citizens looked from them to Casser. And Casser stared at her, frozen as though already buried.

 The whole cavern shook again. The Flames would be through the walls soon, and the people must be gone. Stasia had to surrender now. "Casser." She had warned him of this day. Why couldn't he accept it? "This is an order from your Queen, Casser. You must save Iskalon."

 "Ancestors melt you, Stasia. How can I convince you that V'lturhst is just your wild imagination? There is nothing higher than the Burial Shafts, and they keep going until they reach the Svardark. To say anything else is to blaspheme."

 "Nonetheless, to save Iskalon, you will try to find V'lturhst."

 "Stas—"

 "I would take your place, Casser. But the Fire King seems to want me in particular. I need you to take all of my Dreams and memories and do what I have not been able to do. Look for the tunnel that leads to V'lturhst. I'm sure it exists. I know you do not believe, but you will see."

 Casser shook his head. "You will die alone in Chraun, little one."

 "I am not alone, Casser. Look, I have my people with me." She gestured to the cavern floor. The Council was still arguing, likely about whether her last commands had held weight after her decision to surrender. But a few Icers were rising above the crowd and approaching the ledge. Her volunteers. Not quite fifty, but they would suffice. The walls shuddered, and a small rockslide started at the far end of the cavern. "We haven't time to argue. Go. Ancestors willing, we will meet again."

 The anger in his eyes faded to resignation, and he reached out and pinched her cheek. She glared at him, rubbing at the skin angrily. "What was that for?"

 "I used to do that when you were a babe, Stas. I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. Farewell, my Queen."

 "Farewell, Casser." With that she drew T'Jas and drifted off the ledge, over the crowd, nodding to the fifty-odd Icers to follow. When she reached the rockslide, she placed her hands on the wall, drew T'Jas, and pushed open a wide tunnel. Her power met hot rock and rebounded; the result was a thin curtain between her tunnel and that of the Flames. She drew T'Jas again and pushed past the hot rock, opening the curtain wide.

 "General Medoc?" She amplified her voice, savoring the coldness of T'Jas as she did so. She might never feel it again. "I am Queen Stasia of Iskalon. I have come to surrender to Chraun." 

What will come of Stasia's decision to surrender to Chraun? Did she make the right decision to split up Iskalon? Let me know what you think of her decisions in the comments! And please remember to vote if you are still enjoying the story! Thanks for sticking with it this far!