Glossary

Ancestors: In the theology of Iskalon, the Ancestors are worshiped as deities. Iskaloners believe the Ancestors came from the Svardark and made Lake Lentok their home. They fashioned the burial shafts to protect them from the mysterious dangers of the Svardark. The Ancestors are considered to be at once the physical predecessors of the current Icers of Iskalon, as well as god-like beings with unimaginable powers. For example, Queen Cataya's blood is said to run in the royal family, but Cataya herself is worshiped as an Ancestor.

Antahua: Healer of the Liathua Khell.

Blissi: A fermented beverage made from the saccharine fruit of the bliss fungi.

Boareal: A large mammal in Khell, with a long, bulbous snout, and a thick, bristling hide. They have long, sharp tusks and four sturdy feet with vestigial flippers for toes.

Burial Shafts: Long veins of ice rising from Sholaen. According to Iskalon theology, the Ancestors used T'Jas in a way now forgotten to make them impenetrable by T'Jas. Only the dead can enter. Iskaloners bury their dead in the shafts to protect the living from the Svardark.

Cababar: Cababar are giant, meaty rodents bred for meat in Iskalon and Chraun. They are nearly hairless in Chraun, but the Iskalon variety is covered with velvety, pale fur. They also give milk.

Cadet Tejusi: A young Flame who carries messages for Medoc.

Captain Glace: A human Warrior of great renown, the Captain of Stasia's Guard.

Chief Lubar: Chief of the Liathua Khell and father of Hakua.

Chime: A unit of time in Iskalon; when the first hour in a twelve hour cycle passes through the water clock a chime sounds over the city; each consecutive hour adds a chime. For example at Fifth Chime, five chimes sound.

Chirat: A hoofed animal of Iskalon with a thick, soft fur, the fibers are spun and woven into fabric. It requires a cold environment for their fleece to develop, therefor they are not found in Chraun. Chirat are very valuable, highly prized animals, kept with utmost care. They are fed on bluecap mushrooms, which may contribute to the blue-violet color of their fur.

Chirsh: The wool gathered from the chirat; it is thin-spun into garments for humans, as well as felted, soaked and frozen into thick armor for Icers.

Chraun: The Kingdom of fire in the bowels of Sholaen.

Colonel Kiner: An Icer Colonel in the Iskalon army.

Councilor Cygnet: The representative of the Gem Guild on the Council of Iskalon.

Councilor Mowat: Council representative of the Livestock Guild.

Councilor Wyfus: Representative of the Fishing Guild and also the Speaker for the Council, undoubtedly the most politically powerful human in Iskalon.

Dhuciri: A mysterious pale race; they ride giant black birds and take a tithe from the tribes of the Khell.

Doal: Doal are a land animal of Khell. They have small, muscular canine bodies, with sleek, thick, waterproof fur. They have long, flat feet that keep them above soft snow. The people of Khell keep them as pets and use them to draw sleds, though they will also eat doal if they must. Doal have a large double flap of skin as a tail, thought to be a vestigial tailfin from when they were swimming animals.

Doaltooth Mountains: A mountain range that cuts across the continent of Khell and provides shelter for animals and tribes in the winter storms.