Chapter 11.

"Faster, Aleron! Use the wind and the currents to your advantage! You're smaller and lighter than a dragon for crying out loud!" Khuzaimah scolded the young wyvern who was weaving through the air and in between the trees as fast as he could.

"I am flying as fast as I can, Old one!" Aleron projected back at Khuzaimah. "You're not the one with scales missing and scars on his wings."

Just as Aleron darted out from the trees, Khuzaimah launched himself into the air with a powerful push from his hind legs. Instead of spreading his wings, preparing to fly he extended his claw-like joints forward, using them as front paws instead of wings. He didn't even glance to the side to watch where Aleron was, just felt the wind, the ripples in the air and the noise Aleron produced with every wingbeat. He had closed his mind from everything except his own senses and just as Aleron passed above him, he struck, digging his claws into Aleron's hard scales and dragging the young Wyvern down with him as gravity pulled him back to the ground.

Aleron was on his back, wings sprawled out wide, his chest panting heavily while Khuzaimah had one of his big legs planted firmly on Aleron's soft tissued belly. The nails scraping the skin, but not breaking it. Khuzaimah's tail was pointed at the underside of Aleron's jaw leaving Aleron no room to wiggle or break free. The old Wyvern huffed at him and when Aleron stopped struggling he removed his tail and stepped away from him, giving Aleron time to get up to his feet.

"You died. You're too slow, react in the wrong way and can't look further than your own nose. Missing scales or scars are just excuses! Look at me, Aleron! Take a good close look at me!" Khuzaimah stood up straight, making himself as tall as possible as he spread his wings, blocking the sun from Aleron's eyes. The leathery membrane became partly translucent showing the veins, but also other darker parts which were neither veins or the normal tissue. At the point where his left wing was attached to his body, a deep gash was still visible. No scales, just a deep gash with soft slightly reddish tissue. 

Aleron gazed closer at the older wyvern, his slitted pupils widening as the came across several scars and strangely shaped scales on Khuzaimah's belly. When Khuzaimah came back down again Aleron stared at the worn face of the dark brown Wyvern who had been keeping him company for a while now. Dark yellow eyes with thin slits stared back at him as Aleron took in all of the ridges, dips, and irregular scale placement. He had never noticed how old the wyvern really looked and how worn he actually looked. It left him speechless and for once, Aleron had no idea what to do or say. 

"What's with the look, Young one," Khuzaimah sneered. "It's like you're seeing me for the first time. You've been so self-absorbed you've never truly looked at me or others. You might have been mad that the two humans refused to bring your rider to you because he isn't ready but you're just as unready as he is. Despite me being slower than you, despite me being covered in old wounds, scars, missing scales, and unable to use the poison in my tail, I brought you down easily and could have killed you in just a few moments."

Khuzaimah turned his back to Aleron and glanced towards the south, the area he had always tried protecting. "Aleron, you said you wanted to protect this area. But your words and actions are contradicting each other. Your head is with your rider, not here! If you want, then go. Leave, follow the dragon riders to the North and find your rider but know he is not ready for you. The rejection he will give you will be even more painful than the first one."

Aleron had felt himself shrink smaller and smaller at Khuzaimah's scolding. It was like Khuzaimah was fighting him over and over, defeating him with every sentence till Aleron opened his eyes to the truth. How could he have been so blind all this time! Khuzaimah had been right. Ever since he had woken up and was able to move again, his mind had been occupied with one thing only. He had not seen or spoken to the angel who had saved him bu Khuzaimah had filled him in on everything. All Aleron could remember was the flashes of red and purple and the blond hair. He had seen them when they had approached the city but he had trouble remembering what they exactly looked like. Only that the red dragon had attacked him.