Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I wake up early and decide to take a long hot shower. I drop my red dress on the floor and step into the shower. It takes me a moment to work out the knobs and such but I finally get the water to turn on. I use a nice shampoo that smells like a primrose flower. As I wash it out I place my head on the tile covering the wall. I stand there for about 10 minutes when I hear Madi knocking on my door.

“Breakfast in 10!” Madi yells into my room. I want to stay in the warm hot water forever and forget about the games and everything about them but I know its not that easy. I turn off the water and grab a towel off the rack. I dry off and grab a pair of jeans and a nice shirt from the dresser. I lag around trying to avoid breakfast until my stomach growls. I give in and head out to the dining car once again.

I ignore the greetings from everyone and sit at the table. I take a piece of bread and spread orange marmalade across the top of it. I’m in the middle of eating when Olivia points to something outside.

“The capital!” Olivia shouts. I race to the window and marvel and the size and beauty of the city. As we pull into the station, I’m blinded by the many colors of clothing, wigs, and animals. I see a purple poodle along with their owner who is wearing a neon green wig and matching green eyeliner. I’m disgusted yet amazed by these people.

They wave at us and I know my life depends on them so I wave back with the fakest smile on my face. Olivia joins me and we continue to wave until we are ushered off the train and into our hotel. We are guided into a clear box called an elevator and since we are from district 7, we stay on the 7th floor.

The elevator moves up with a start and I’m startled for a moment but as it continues to move I find it quite enjoyable. I’m then forced to exit onto our floor by Madi who told me to stop acting like a child although I am one. Haley shows us to our rooms and says we can eat whenever we feel like it. I’m tuckered out and I’d rather quite thinking about the games for one second and just relax before I’m forced to think about how I’m going to kill other kids. I lay in my bed and slowly doze off.