Chapter 4: Letting Go and Moving Forward

A/N: Hey! Sorry for the beginning author's note. Just wanted to apologize for the wait. I'm going to try to do better about my timing on the writing of the chapters, but I hope this makes up for it. It's a reeeeeeeeally long chapter. I'll try to have the next one up soon.

P.s. I just want to thank you all for reading. You have no idea what this means to me. (o^-^o)

Ok.. ON TO THE STORY!!!
~ ~ ~ * * * ~ ~ ~

A massive funeral was held last night for all who had fallen in the siege. No one gave a speech. There were too many casualties.

Our custom is to write down our favorite experiences with our lost loved ones on paper and dispose of them in a similar manner as how the family member died. Since many in the village lost their lives in the fire, a small bonfire will be maintained until sunset to allow survivors time to grieve and prepare their own writings.

The loss the families face pierce my own heart knowing I was the cause. In memory of those who had fallen, I am going to burn my writings despite how my own family passed. I couldn't bear knowing that I had caused so much unnecessary grief.

I watch as a few townsfolk throw their memories into the pyre, and I cant help but think of my own family. They were all I had, and now...

Shaking my head slowly, I reach for a piece of paper to my right.

I write a name at the top: Lord Sean Mistrune of Diabel, Papa.

I smile sadly at the memories, sifting through them to find one that is appropriate. Having made my selection, I begin writing and am sent back in time.

I look in the mirror modeling my favorite dress as I prepare myself for Papa. He said to get dressed for a party. I've never been to a party before. Papa says it's because I'm a big girl!

I'm eight years old now, practically grown up. My hair is down and unruly. I never did sit still to have my hair brushed, but Papa said it's a special occasion so I have to look like a princess. I'm gonna sit still today because I'm a big girl now.

The maids arrive moments later and are astounded to find that I am calm during the brushing.

"Papa likes my hair down," I tell them.

"Your papa said you were a princess. It seemed fitting that a princess has her own tiara." The woman takes out a tiara made of paper, worthy of a grown woman like myself.

I squeal with delight and place the makeshift crown upon my head.

"Now I'm ready."

My big brother Nikie appears in the door dressed to the nines and bows low.

"I'm here to escort the beautiful woman down to the ball."

I give my best curtesy and take his hand as he leads me down to the ballroom.

As we draw near, I hear music growing louder and become nervous.

"Nikie, I'm scared," I say, slowing down my pace.

"Don't be scared, Mina. You were born for this!" He beams at me, causing my own apprehension to dissipate and a smile to take over my own face.

Minutes pass by until we reach the entrance to the ballroom. I can hear a waltz playing. Papa taught Nikie to dance that and Nikie told me all about it. I even know how to spell it. But if I hear it, that means I must be getting my own lesson with Papa!

Nikie opens the two big doors to show the room is decorated for a grown up like me! A man is standing in the middle of the bottom of the stairs. He turns around as he hears my shoes on the marble floor, and I see Papa smiling.