Chapter 7: Mera

Lucas and I have spent the last twenty minutes in silence. It doesn't appear that he's quite ready to tell me, but every time I try to dismiss the subject for his comfort, he keeps repeating that "a deal's a deal."

I've been sitting here for that expanse of time while he proved extremely productive. In those few minutes, he has built a fire, fetched snacks, sharpened his knives, removed his armor (which I find rather impressive because there were at least five layers, much to my surprise), and is now continuing to whittle away at the block from earlier which I can now tell is going to be a bird of some kind.

Ever so slowly, Lucas' Livkings open up completely to me.

Speed: inner forearm. Honor: lower back on the spine. Compassion: left leg, inner thigh..

A soft chuckle passed unapproved through my lips as Lily is called forth from my memories.

It appears that everyone here reminds me in some way of my life back at the Manor.

Lucas draws me out of my reverie with a loud sigh.

"Alright," he says. "I've drawn this out long enough."

He stops carving suddenly and buries his face in his wrists. His Livkings glint uncomfortably with restrained sorrow.

They're always so emotional with him.. Why is that?

"Actually, I can't. I don't know how to explain anything. How do you find the words that describe how much your sister meant to you? The adventures you shared together? The devastation you experienced when-." He trails off. A few semi-awkward seconds pass as I try to determine the best course of action.

If he can't say what happened, I muse as I watch him through my lashes, then maybe he can show me..

I bite my lip softly. The method I want to use is risky in that, if I'm not careful, I could be discovered.

Were it Nik, I would completely disregard this, but Lucas... Lucas needs this.

"Lucas?" I begin meekly. He removes his face from his wrists and glowers at me.

"I am going to share this with you one way or another. Stop asking me to drop it," he demands as he returns to his earlier position.

After a few seconds, I clear my throat, my annoyance apparent. Lucas peeks out, also annoyed.

"Lucas, I understand that you truly do not wish to discuss this," I reprimand abrasively. "I also understand that you feel the need to do so. It is confusing and frustrating, but that is no reason to take your frustrations out on me."

His eyes drop to the ground guiltily.

"I do apologize for being so frank, but it needed to be said," I say with a softened voice. After a small nod from him, I continue, "I was going to suggest an alternative method."

That piqued his curiosity. He settled the knife and block in his lap and wiped at his mouth.

"What method did you have in mind?"

I am hesitant. This could very well mean that I might not live up to my Oath. I cannot let the villagers down.

You can do this. Deep breaths, Marina.

"I want to Read your Livkings."

He scoffs.

"And how will that help?" he asks. I can't decide if he is genuinely confused or just being sarcastic.

Breathe in... 2... 3... 4... And out... 2... 3... 4...

He continues staring at me waiting for my answer.