Chapter 6: Spirited Away

Twins' Age: 120 (9 years human age)

A knock sounds at the window and the twins look up from their mathematics lesson with Frankenstein. A tall, muscular man with long silver hair leaps through the window and lands softly as a cat. The twins look to Frankenstein imploringly; he nods. They spring from their chairs and dash to the intruder, crushing him in a hug.

"Uncle Muzaka!!" They scream.

"Aaaggghhh!" He cries. "It's the prince and princess! How have you been? Let me look at you!" He holds the twins at arm's length and studies them. "You've grown so much! Princess, you're so beautiful now! Look how long your hair is!" He twists Reya's long, straight hair around his finger. She smiles and looks down. "And little Prince, you're handsome like your father now, with your uncle's curls! I hardly recognize either of you!"

"It's been 40 years, Uncle Muzaka," Caziel explains. "Today is our 120th birthday."

Muzaka's eyes widen with shock. "Is it! Well, then, that means you get a treat today, doesn't it?"

The children's eyes glow. "Like what Grandpapa gives us every 10 years?" Valereya asks hopefully.

"Even better," Muzaka says, poking her nose. "I'm going to take you somewhere. This afternoon. With your parents' permission, of course." He looks up at Cadis, who looks to his wife. Erga raises her eyebrow at her husband and sighs.

"If you've finished your studies by then, you may go," she says.

The children gasp gleefully and run back to the table. Muzaka chuckles and turns to his best friend, patting his shoulder.

"Raizel! How is fatherhood treating you?"

Cadis, a man of few words, simply nods amicably. The two continue in this manner of one-sided conversation and the twins focus all of their attention on their studies. Frankenstein leaves and returns shortly with tea for his master and mistress and their guest, and then continues instructing the children. The hours pass quickly and soon the twins and Muzaka are ready to leave.

"Where are we going?" Caziel asks, leaping high into the air with his sister and the werewolf lord.

"It's a surprise, Prince," Muzaka says cryptically. "But I can tell you we're going to the human world."

Caziel's brow furrows with inner turmoil. "Uncle Nelo says we are above humans and must not mingle with them."

"Uncle Nelo is prejudiced," Valereya retorts. "He even hates Uncle Frankie. Papa said that it is the duty of the Nobles to protect the humans, and Uncle Nelo doesn't perform that duty. I don't care what he thinks about humans."

"Rey!" Caziel gasps. "That's disrespectful!"

"So what. He disrespects Uncle Frankie." Reya tosses her head with a finality that shuts Caziel's mouth.