Chapter 4: Gone Missing

Caziel and Valereya kneel before their parents, heads hung in remorse

Caziel and Valereya kneel before their parents, heads hung in remorse. Erga plucks leaves and twigs from her son's wavy black hair, and Cadis crouches before his daughter and heals a small cut on her face. Valereya glances up at her father and sees no anger in his gaze; only disappointment that crushes her little heart. She throws her slender arms about his neck and buries her face in his shoulder.

    "I'm sorry, Papa," she whimpers. "It was my fault. Cazi tried to stop me. I didn't listen."

    Cadis stands and lifts his daughter into his arms. "What is the duty of the Noblesse?"

    "To protect people," Reya sniffs.

    "Yes. You will be the Noblesse someday, Reya. You must learn to protect others, not lead them into danger. Caziel may be nearly as powerful as you, but he will be the Lord. You mustn't get him into trouble. Do you understand?"

    "Yes, Papa," her small voice replies demurely. She rubs her forehead into her father's and he chuckles and kisses her nose. He sets her on the floor and digs his fingertips into her sides, bringing shrieks of laughter and desperate wriggling. Suddenly she stops and turns a wide-eyed gaze on her brother.

    "Cazi! Let's go find Uncle Frankie and make him show us the Dark Spear!"

    "Reya," Erga warns.

    "Let's ask for stories instead," Caziel suggests quietly. "The Dark Spear is dangerous."

    Reya agrees and the children sprint out of the room. Cadis and Erga chuckle and admire their children. Caziel and Valereya are about 80 years old—the human equivalent of 5 or 6. Caziel is calm as a spring morning, like his father. He prefers to sit quietly and read, or listen to stories. Reya, on the other hand, is a little firecracker; she has her mother's hot temper and tends to run headlong into trouble. Not only that, she drags her innocent elder twin into the fray, only considering the consequences when they're both being reprimanded.

    The children find Frankenstein in the foyer, arranging a fresh bouquet of flowers on the credenza. They then perform their time-honored tradition: Caziel tries to distract Frankenstein by running at him, while Valereya circles behind him and tries to tackle him. Frankenstein humors them, dropping to the floor with Reya on his back, and then easily breaks free and seizes one child in each arm and claims them as his test subjects. They scream in mock terror and beat him with their tiny fists until he releases them, vowing to have revenge.

    "Tell us a story!" Reya cries. "About when you caused trouble for Papa!"

    Frankenstein makes a show of being offended and refuses. When both children commence begging on their knees, he finally relents.

    "One day," he begins, "many years ago, I had a big fight with Sir Gejutel and Sir Rayga."

    "Ooh!" The children croon. "Really?"