Chapter 9

I have a firm grip on Zayn's shirt as the stinging in my leg has turned into a pure ache, torturing me with every breath I took.

I start to wonder if I'm getting worse.

I don't understand why they couldn't just go to the store and get pills, but then I remembered that they're in a gang known all over the state. Of course they couldn't just go out in public.

I'm trembling in pain and see that Zayn's still asleep.

I look at the small clock on the mini night stand and see that it's only past midnight.

Zayn fell asleep roughly two hours ago. The bags under his eyes showed his tiredness, it had been a rough night.

I try not to yelp since everyone was asleep. My throat was starting to get sore and dry from trying not to yell all day.

I force my muscles to loosen and I try to calm my nerves, but my brain couldn't ignore the pain.

I roll off Zayn's chest and examine my stitched up wound. It's red all around it and the stitches look gross and painful.

I wonder if Josh had removed the bullet to make the pain unbearable.

I couldn't control it anymore and began sobbing. After about fifteen minutes of quiet sobbing, I feel movement and Zayn's by my side. He kneels down in front of me, examining my wound. He strokes the stitches lightly with his finger and looks up at me with tired, but sincere eyes. "Is it hurting that much?" He asked me and I bite back a yelp, but nod. "Kay," he says quietly.

He gets on the bed and cradles me in his arms, careful around my wounded leg. I'm snuggled into his chest as sobs continuously escape between my lips. "I'll do something about it in the morning. I promise," he whispered.

I shake my head. "No. I want something done now. I can't take it anymore." I'm starting to feel drowsy and lightheaded. The door opens and I see Danielle standing in the doorway.

"I called Andy," she says softly and Zayn looks at her. "I'm sorry, Zayn, but I can't keep listening to her yell in pain! He's getting her pain killers." Oh, thank the Lord above!

"Good," he tells her then looks down at me. "Hang in there," he says with a small smile.

"I'll try," I say weakly.

The door bell rings and Danielle rushes to the door. I hear Danielle talking to someone and start shaking from the pain. Why is she wasting time? Doesn't she know the amount of pain I'm in?

"Danielle!" Zayn snaps with a scowl on his face.

She squeals and I hear her running to the room. She comes in holding a glass of water and two pain killers.

I scramble over to her, desperate for the medication.

I throw them in my mouth and chug down all the water.

I collapse on the bed when I'm done and Danielle leaves, shutting the door behind her.

Zayn hovers over me then falls onto his side beside me. He strokes my hair and tiredness settles over me when the medicine started to kick in. I let out a breath of relief and relax for the first time in a long time.