Chapter Twenty-Three

Masons preached that mages were going to Hell, every last one of them. Whether a man used his magic or not, he would be in Hell. That didn't mean that a mage was unwelcome among the Masons, only that a mage who served the Masons or did good in the world was truly one for the people to be in awe over.

That, Maeno was certain, was what drew him to the Masons during his first year at Amos. Each week he attended, they were pleasantly surprised. They were proud that he survived another week of school, and they asked questions about his schooling. They were the ones who helped him learn to read and write. They taught him spells which those at the school knew nothing about.

He found comfort in their arms.

For the Masons didn't care that he was a bastard. Their god didn't care what sides of the sheets a man was born, only how that man used his life.

He shouldn't, therefore, have been surprised to see Naena attending with Bo.

Maeno had seen Bo before. He understood why the scaled mage might find comfort in the arms of the Masons.

The sermon was on the treatment of their fellow man. Afterward, the priest called Bo and Naena forward. Maeno went because he knew Naena, and he wanted the Masons to know he was willing to help however he could.

"This is?" the priest asked.

"My cousin," Bo lied.

"Naena," Maeno countered. "She's a student at Amos."

"God sometimes makes us a body to which He hopes we will be happy but understands when we choose to change," the priest responded.

"I'm a woman," Naena said.

The priest hesitated. He frowned and gave his head a little shake as he straightened.

"Ah, yes, news has spread of a female mage. And this is her? Gracing our cathedral with her presence. Why lie, Bo?"

Bo motioned to Naena, then made an up and down motion as if that explained everything.

"All are welcome here who do not seek to harm others," the priest said. "Naena, your name... does that mean you are from the same region as Maeno?"

"Yes," Naena said. "We know each other, actually."

"Good, and has Maeno spoken with you at school?"

"Yes, he's been helpful to me."

"Good, that's good to hear," the priest said with a nod. "And your letters and numbers, how do you fair there?"

"Poorly," Naena said.

The priest nodded and made a small sound.

"Well, child, you might find your way under the eyes of our Lord. Welcome."

"Thank you," she said.

The priest left.

After he left, Bo cast Maeno a glance, then motioned with his head to Naena.

"We should get going," Bo said.

"He's not allowed to be around me since I left Hellfire," Maeno explained.

"Oh, well, I'm not in Hellfire," Naena said. "I think I'm going to stay and explore with Maeno for a bit. He knows the way home, I'm sure."

"Fine, sure," Bo muttered. "See you later."

Maeno made a motion to Naena and drew her back into the cathedral. He watched as she stared around in awe at the structure.

"It is almost as old as the university," Maeno said as he stepped up beside her. "There was a fire some five hundred years ago, but it only ate up a few things. They fixed the rest. That's why you can see black marks there, and there, see? The stone cracked and charcoal got into them, they can't clean out the cracks, they say, but they also say the Lord delivered the fire to show them how resilient they are."