Chapter Twenty-Two

Because he was in service, Theon didn't so much as flinch when Naena threw Luk. What he had wanted to do was laugh, but he didn't do that either. Instead he remained kneeling as Naena and Graydon took their leave and Luk found his seat once more.

"Did you see that?" Luk asked.

"Too fast for me," Theon responded as Luk set a hand on his head.

He looked up at the touch, aware that Luk suspected he was lying. If Theon had caught the thing which Naena had done, he would have shared with Luk what he caught. What she did was what Theon hoped to teach himself how to do.

"Graydon is afraid if he leaves her on her own, she might lose that quality," Luk said. "I worry she may not be controlled if she can do that from the start. What do you think?"

"I think it worries you only because you can't explain how she does it," Theon said. "She's still using symbols. It's just that the world speaks to her in a different manner. It's like she's using a Hell language—oh. I think I understand how, but no, I still didn't catch it."

"Good, I'd like you to practice, then," Luk said.

"Yes, Lord Pan," Theon said, standing.

"Not tonight, Theon," Luk responded with a shake of his head. "Tonight I want to do an inspection. It's been well over six months."

Theon hesitated.

After a moment, he nodded and looked away.

"So, when was the last time you cut yourself?" Luk asked.

"This morning at about four," Theon said.

"Why so early? Or were you up late?"

Theon shook his head and refused to meet Luk's eyes. "I did my morning routine before picking Naena up. Something feels off. The ache that should be there isn't there. I worried the spell turned on overnight as we suspect it will one day."

"Thus you tested your theory," Luk said.

Theon nodded.

"And?" Luk asked.

"Not turned on," Theon said.

"Where did you cut yourself?"

"On my inner thigh."

"Calf, I might have accepted, inner thigh is asking for infection and pulling, pain as you pull the fresh skin apart again," Luk said. "I should send you to the healers, but we'll see how the rest of the inspection goes. Before today, when was the last time you cut yourself?"

"A week ago."

"Before that?"

"Every three days, as you allow of me."

Luk picked up the scotch and sniffed the top of it. He grimaced and lowered the glass.

"You wouldn't drink that," he muttered as he set the glass back on the table. "I can't tell if you like the ritual or if you resist."

"I think a little of both," Theon responded.

Luk made a sound at the back of his throat and moved to the liquor cabinet where he poured a second glass of scotch. When he returned, he held the scotch before him and sniffed the top.

"Sex," he said.

"Take whatever number I gave you last time and add whatever time has passed between the last inspection and now."

"Please tell me you've masturbated at least."

Theon grimaced. "Over what? Weeping virgins?"

"Not a strong-willed young woman, obeying your every command?" Luk asked.