Part 7

"Redbeard The Bright."

Redbeard's eyes snapped open to the warm comforting darkness surrounding him. Breath returned to his body as soon as it left it. For him, he had only closed his eyes but for a moment. And now he was on the line between life and death.

He glanced across from him to see the woman bearing a cloak of stars and lavender eyes, and at this moment he knew where he was and who was before him.

"Estellaria the Reaped..." he knelt on one scaly knee, finding his tail to be replaced by two thick legs and webbed feet, "It is an honor to be received by you."

Estellaria raised an eyebrow in slight confusion at his gesture before lifting her hand and motion for the mer to stand.

"It is not your time yet," the goddess stated, "You have another 300 years ahead of you."

"I know it's not my time yet."

"You used your great uncle's spell," Estellaria's eyes narrowed in suspicion, "The spirit wandering spell, the spell that always ends in death for the caster."

Redbeard nodded solemnly, images of Cloud's pleading eyes fresh in his mind, "That's what it says in the fine print."

"Once you enter the spirit realm, you can never return..." Estellaria pointed a long claw at him, "I cannot take a soul whose time is not run out. I can still return you and I shall."

Redbeard's eyes widened as he put up his hands, "No! Wait! I didn't do this on a whim! I have come to speak to you and Solaria!"

"Whatever for?" Estellaria's voice became poisonous, "It was your blood who slain my kin, so why should I grant you the right to speak to me let alone Solaria?"

Redbeard grimaced, images of Red-Tail surfaced from the corners of his mind. Each image making his stomach twist with nausea.

"My son committed a crime, and he paid for it as he should have. And I have paid for it as he has, for I owe my people one last hope to find a solution to end this horrid winter."

Estellaria gritted her teeth, "How noble of you."

Redbeard crossed his arms, "Nobility has nothing to do with my actions. As we stand here prattling on like children, mers and humans alike are falling to death. Humans and mers are becoming savages!"

"And why do you think the Bitter Winter began in the first place?" Estellaria hissed, her yes becoming shards of lavender ice, "Your son became full of greed and developed a lust for power!"

Redbeard winced at Estellaria's tone, "If I had known he was going to break into the palace, I would have stopped him!" he shot back.

"You were his father!" Estellaria snarled, "Did you not see the poisonous ambition in his eyes? In his words?"

"He was ambitious..." Redbeard admitted through gritted teeth, "I knew he wanted to unite land and sea, but so did I when I was his age. But...I did not see how far he was willing to go."

"He stormed through the garden to sneak into the palace and planned to kill me and Solaria and keep Holly for himself. He took a spear tipped with his own concoction we've named the God-Cleaver..." Estellaria's footsteps echoed with malice as she approached the king, the hair hidden in her hood sparkling white.

Redbeard shrank back as though he were a child being scolded, "He had a crush on Holly...but I thought it was merely a crush. I didn't think...he would go so far..."