Part 3

"Walk with me, Luciara..."

The ruby scaled mer with wide auburn eyes and cherry red locks stared up at the black hooded being before him.

"It's Lucas, and why should I?" the mer glanced around in confusion, noting the empty darkness surrounding him. He glanced down at his toeless feet, jumping back at the fact he was standing upon the darkness himself.

"I..I'm...dead aren't I?"

The cloaked being before him nodded, "I'm afraid so Lucas. You fought bravely, but the time has come for you to rest.

Silver bubbles came to Lucas' eyes, floating above them like a balloon going nowhere but upward.

"But...I-I have kids! A wife! I can't leave them! Not like this! My wife is expecting our third child! I cannot leave her a widow!" Lucas cried.

"That's what everyone tells me...but it cannot change fate..." the cloaked being put it bluntly, her voice cold and ambient. A pair of lavender eyes glowed as they glanced back at the mer.

"Please...Estellaria...!" Lucas croaked, "I can't leave my family! They all thought I was going to make it! I can't lie to them! I can't lie to my children! I can't break that promise to them!"

Estellaria put her hand out, in her palm she summoned a silver sickle, of which glittered like a warning.

"Lucas, please. You are a good mer. You fought valiantly on the shores of Iceland for your queen, you gave aid to those in the Trench of the Sea, and you gave your kidney to a child who needed it more than you. I am sorry cancer had to grip you the way that it did. But at least here and now you will pass peacefully. And eventually, your whole family will be with you."

"But..."

"Don't make me force you...this has to be done..." Estellaria pointed her blade toward the weeping mer, "Very few can cheat death and I would advise against it."

Lucas let out a moan of despair, falling to his knees and his spiked dorsal fin shooting up in defense. He held his face in his hands and sobbed.

Estellaria stood there, unblinking. She sucked in a long breath before removing her hood. Long flowing white hair spilled out onto the floor and flowed like silver water, her dark skin highlighting the fresh wrinkles upon it. Her eyes had smile lines and were dulled with age, but she didn't seem to notice or care as she approached the weeping mer.

"Lucas."

Lucas gritted his fangs as he glanced up at the towering entity before him, his bubbles floating up into the vastness and glimmered like stars.

Estellaria's cold expression seemed to soften, only slightly, however.

"When I died, I left behind my children...it was the hardest thing to do. But fate dictates that there is nothing you can do about death but accept it. If you cannot accept it, you cannot move on. You cannot meet your loved ones. Now, am I going to fight you? Or will you walk with me?"

Lucas' eyes were now long since dull, his voice cracked with pain as he spoke, "My family...please tell me they will be all right."

Estellaria knelt to meet the mortal's gaze, extending her arms, "Of course they will. We goddesses have done everything we can to make sure that you and your family are safe so far, no sense in stopping anytime soon."