Hi, Mr Shadow Part 1

• Dedicated to Jeroen

This whole story is dedicated to one of my best friends. Thank you for all friendship and support and motivating me to keep writing! <3

Part 1

I walk beside you everyday, emotionless like a robot. I don't care about my surroundings or where you are taking me. My brain is filled with nothingness. But you are the same. You can see me, but you don't know that I am here.

I have lived over hundreds of carriers, I don't remember who they were and they never noticed me. That is the purpose of my life. So I thought anyway when I had one of my rare thoughts. I was instructed by the bigger understanding and never questioned the purpose I was given.  I didn't know better. I didn't know I could become just like you.

My previous carrier passed away suddenly and left me alone. I don't like being alone. Then I must think and act on my own. I like to be controlled and sink back into the nothingness. It is the strongest feeling I have.

When I choose a carrier I chase the other twin soul away and stay loyal with my new carrier for most of its life. I try to leave before they die, I don't like the pressure to find a new one so suddenly. My restless mind drove me out onto the streets and I chose the first young carrier I ran into, a teen girl. I chased the other soul away with ease, it left without trouble like it barely noticed my interruption.

Most souls usually switch alot, unlike me. I am a male, so I never choose female carriers. Not that I bothered much, I just had to adapt to the female movements. That meant I had to pay more attention to my carrier than I was used to. I have already used my thinking too much for my liking this day, but I don't regret my choice.

I follow her through her day, I don't suspect anything different about her. She is very calm and quiet. My last carrier was always on the move so I find this girl relaxing.

It's a dark evening. We are headed somewhere when she suddenly stops and looks at the brick wall right at me. I meet her gaze, though she can't see my eyes of course. Her piercing blue eyes are filled with tears. I am stunned, for the first time in my life. I suddenly notice what a beauty she  is with her messy light brown hair half tied up in a bun. Then she starts talking.

"Hi, Mr Shadow. Today I don't want to go home, but I have no where else to go." She puts her hand against the brick wall so it touches my shoulder. I shiver from the touch, still keeping my eyes locked to hers. Is she talking to me? "Let's keep this a secret will you?" she continues with a sigh. "I wish we could switch place. If you wanted I could be your shadow and you would be here living this useless thing called human life and hopefully enjoy it more than I do."

She smiles at me, happily but yet sad. My heart starts to beat faster.

"Thank you for listening. Now let's go home ,Mr Shadow, and hopefully my dad is still alive when we reach there."