Chapter 7: Qualifications

Chapter 7

                                                Clitheroe, England  September 8, 1887

"2 o'clock and yet still no one?" I muttered to myself. How could this be? There should be maids lining out the door for this job; easy cleaning, simple cooking, good pay, and a place to stay? Maybe the notice fell, yes that must be it! I should head into town to check.

I was on the verge of becoming frantic. The notice for the position I required had been up since 7 in the morning and not one applicant had showed up. Now, its not that I couldn't take care of myself. I can clean, cook, sew and the like, but I had to write a eulogy for Ben's funeral and complete paperwork for my practice in Oxford. Besides, the house was starting to put me on edge. I didn't believe in ghosts or anything, but the house was empty of living things besides me and I was starting to crave a human voice. That was part of the reason I decided to put in a notice for a maid. If one didn't come before supper time, I would have to think of an alternative plan so, I slipped myself into a mahogany jacket, jerked the front door open and nearly collided with a young woman standing on the porch.

"Oh!" she cried out in surprise. "I am terribly sorry sir. Am I at 13 Newberry Road?" she said, glancing at a scrap of paper.

I took in her appearance. She had plain clothes, those of a housemaid, and honestly looked rather nervous. She was quite tall for a woman, but looked strongly built. Her hair was a beautiful burgundy that was pulled up in a bun that looked like it was neater in earlier hours, with strands of hair that seemed to fall just right as to frame her round face and full lips. Her eyes though, were the most captivating of all, a lustrous chocolate brown in a lovely almond shape. They sparkled with intelligence and attentiveness while peeking out from beneath some loose hair and I had to restrain myself from tucking the hair behind her ear to get a better look at them. She reread the paper and gazed at me with her dark brown jewels, it took me a moment to collect myself.

"Why, yes ma'm you are. May I ask for what business?" I asked, even though I already had a good idea of what it might be.

"I saw a notice for a housemaid to clean and cook in the town square and I came here to apply for the position." She responded with determination in her voice.

"Well then, come right in." I gestured her inside the house and watched her take in the parlor as I led her to a cushioned chair so we may talked more civilized. She sat down a bit awkwardly and proceeded to introduce herself.

"My name is Adelina Kent," she began. "and I have worked as a maid all my life, more recently at The Crooked Billet Inn in Burnley, and I wish to apply for the position being offered here."

Straight to the point, not bad at all. "Well Ms. Kent, I am Dr. James Lacy and shall be staying at this house. Do you know how to cook?"

"Of course sir," she stated. "have know for a good 6 years. I also know how to keep a room's appearances up and am educated in literature and arithmetic."

An educated maid? That is very rare, at least in my experience. She seems to be more than adequate and is the only one who stopped in, lets see how this goes.

"Well, you certainly seem qualified." I began. "I believe you have a new job here at Scarlet Hill."

"Thank you very much sir!" She seemed quire excited, but she quickly contained herself. "When do you wish for me to start?"

"Tomorrow, if you can."

"Of course sir, what time shall I come in?"

"Around noon." I replied happily. "You have the choice of four rooms on the third floor, pick whichever one you wish."

Adelinia's face broke into a wonderful smile and I took pleasure in knowing I had her company for a while.

"Thank you so ever much sir! I shall see you tomorrow at noon Dr. Lacy." Adelinia strode toward the door and exited. I went over to a front window and watched her walk down the street and off toward the town square. I felt a bit sad to see her go, but was absolutely elated for tomorrow. I think I shall enjoy my stay at Scarlet Hill.