Chapter 14. Hard goodbye

We took a few days to settle in before we ventured out of the house, during the first few day we had food delivered but we were all getting stir crazy. We went to the river and explored. Amy and Thomas were starting to warm up to each other. We swam around in the river a bit before we retired to our picnic blanket to eat the lunch Amy had packed. When we were done eating I decided to go for a walk. I promised them I wouldn't go far and that I would stay along the river.

As I was walking I heard a waterfall in the distance. So I picked up my pace to find it. It was beautiful I sat down and stared at it. I loved the sound and watching the water pour over the rocks. It was soothing to me. I brought my hand up to play with my necklace but it wasn't there. I had taken it off to swim. I was about to head back to the others to get it when I was startled.

"Just leave it off little one. It's time."

I'm fairly positive the voice was in my head. It was soft and beautiful but also weak. I was hoping it was my mother's, yes I know I'm officially crazy at this point, but I vividly remembered her voice and knew the one in my head didn't belong to her. So like the crazy person I now am, I felt like I could trust this voice. I decided not to tell Amy and Thomas. I figured they wouldn't understand and I didn't want them to worry about me. I walked back to them though.

"When is your birthday anyway Noel?" Amy suddenly asked out of the blue.

"Honestly I have no clue," I answered and shrugged, "growing up we always celebrated in July since that's when they found me."

"So wait. You really don't know? You could be younger or older?" Amy asked.

"Yeah I guess so." Was my brilliant reply.

"You know I've had a theory about that." Thomas inserted with a smile, "I bet you were born on or close to Christmas."

I looked at him, I had no clue what would even make him think that. He just laughed.

"Your name is Noel after all! Sounds like a Christmas name to me!" Thomas said with a smile. "That would make you either 17 1/2 or 16 1/2. Still a youngster either way"

I just shrugged. Regardless it didn't matter much and I'd probably never know the answer. How I hadn't thought of that before though I'll never know, definitely made sense.

We packed up our stuff, my locket safely tucked away in my bag, and headed back home. On the way home I heard mine and Amy's phone go off. We both got a message from Brie.

Hey!! You're back! How come you didn't call? We're having a bonfire tonight, please come! Pretty please! We have food!!

I could just imagine her pouty face in my mind and laughed. I looked at Amy who shrugged. So I text her back.

Sure! But only if Thomas can come. He's been my friend since I was little, he's new here and I don't want to leave him alone. Plus Amy seems really attached

Amy was reading over my shoulder and elbowed me. I just laughed. A few minutes later Brie replied.

Uh I don't know about that.
Let me check with the guys.

I rolled my eyes. I didn't expect them to allow it and it was an easy way out.

Well if he can't come I'm not going to, and I doubt Amy will either. We'll just have to catch up another time.

I sent it and expected that to be the end of it. So I was surprised to hear my phone go off again a few moments later.

The guys said it's fine but to tell him to be on his best behavior. See you soon!