The Truth

The Truth

  Certain things may not be, as they seem at first. For instance, Adria knew she was different the moment she entered school. No other could make glass shatter without even going near it. None of the other girls had a scar that got them demeaned.      

      Adria's suspicions were confirmed when she turned eleven. That day she had seen an owl drop a letter into her foster parents lap. They had taken her aside and told her she was a witch. They then gave her the letter to read. It had said she had been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Her foster parents, however, thought her too young to travel so far. So in agreement, Hogwarts sent a tutor, so that when Adria actually went to Hogwarts she would not be behind.

      The next day Adria's tutor came and took her to Diagon Alley to get her books and to choose her wand. After receiving her money from Gringotts, the wizarding bank. Her tutor took her to Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C. Adria looked around excitedly at the dusty old boxes that held the one essential thing that would certainly signify that she was a witch. She waited while a boy with a lightning bolt scar on his forehead found his own wand. There had been something familiar about the boy. Nevertheless, Adria shook off the feeling, as she saw a golden glow appear around the boy. A giant walked into the shop sending the bell jangling. Adria watched the boy pay for the wand and leave with the giant, that she had heard the boy call, Hagrid.

       "Who was that?" Adria asked walking up to, the counter as the old man cleaned up the mess the boy had made in the process of finding his wand. The old man looked up suddenly, surprised.

      "Him? That was Harry Potter." The man had said. Looking closer a look of recognition appeared on his wrinkled face. "Oh, hello there Miss Po...Knight. Come for your wand, have you?"

      All Adria did was nod like crazy, ignoring the slip-up. Ollivander smiled and went into the shelves and disappeared among the plethora of wand boxes, while a magical tape measurer went about her. He soon returned carrying about 10 boxes, all dusty. Setting them down on the counter, he pulled out a simple wand with a little carving on the handle.

      "All right give it a little wave." Ollivander had said, handing Adria the wand. The moment the wand touched her hand a lamp right next to her blew up sending shards of glass everywhere. Muttering, Ollivander took the wand from her and handed Adria another, then before she hand even went around it Ollivander took it out of her reach. Ollivander repeated the process repeatedly. Muttering even more, Ollivander looked at the wands that had not worked. Looking critically at Adria, Ollivander scuttled off among the wands. Adria was beginning to feel tired, so she began to look around making sure her long black hair kept in front of her face.

      Ollivander returned carrying an intricately carved wooden box. This box was not dusty, so it drew Adria's attention very quickly. Opening the lid, Ollivander gently grabbed the wand encased inside. He turned to her and passed the wand over to her. When she wrapped her right hand around the base, a warm feeling issued from her heart. Her hair whipped around her face, her scar showing. A green light so dark it seemed black, appeared around the young witch. To Adria it seemed that all the lamps in the shop had gone out. As she set the wand down on the counter, she looked at it and saw silver snakes with emerald eyes. Just then, her tutor came in and walked to the counter.

      "50 galleons. That is, the chest too." Ollivander said to her tutor, looking expectant.

      "What!" Her tutor had yelled, his eyes looking like they would pop out. Ollivander leaned close to the tutor and began whispering to him.