Understand, Won't You, Please

Requested by thatonefandom_69

Merlin turned, and everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

Arthur and Merlin were out hunting. Of course, Merlin never enjoyed it, but Arthur did, and since he was having a difficult time right now, due to kingly duties, he dragged Merlin out with him. Just him and Merlin, but now...they weren't alone.

They heard a war cry as bandits started reigning in from all directions. Merlin fell of his horse when he reared, still not stable on the mighty animal.

"Merlin, are you alright?" Arthur called back at him while fighting three bandits at once.

"Yes." Merlin replied, trying not to sound so frightened. To Arthur, maybe this many of them didn't cross his mind, but Merlin, Merlin was worried. There were only two of them, and close to ten or twelve bandits.

Merlin stood up, dusting himself off slightly before turning, and that's when it happened.

Merlin saw two bandits herding towards Arthur, right in his blind spot. Maybe he could have, should have, acted differently, chosen a better route, solution, but in that moment, all he saw was red, and a daymare of Arthur getting impaled. So he acted without thinking.

Merlin raised his arms, and blasted the bandits away. He was sure Arthur hadn't seen it, but the bandits had. "He has magic!" They cried, running and screaming. Arthur turned quickly, assuming to find another villain, one with magic, standing nearby. But all he saw was Merlin, hands raised, a determined, almost scary look on his face, and his eyes dulling back to their original color.

"Merlin?" Arthur asked. Merlin whipped his head around at Arthur, trying to subtly drop his arms, but it had been too late, he just didn't want to except it.

"Yes, Arthur?" Merlin replied innocently.

"That wasn't you...no, it couldn't have been." Arthur mumbled in a state of denial. "But...no one else...is around."

"What are you going on about, Arthur?" Merlin asked, hoping above hope Arthur would continue in his state of disbelief.

"You...do you have magic, Merlin?" Arthur asked straight forward. Merlin panicked. He didn't want to lie to Arthur, but what choice did he have. "Don't lie to me, Merlin." Arthur said, turning more stern.

"I-" Merlin choked, he didn't know what to say.

"I saw it, Merlin. I saw it, with my own eyes I saw you. Tell me it isn't true." Arthur pleaded. Merlin only nodded, his words failing him at this point. "You...y-you have magic?" Arthur asked again. Merlin nodded, scared he would be outlawed.

Arthur, too stunned to properly react, just turned his horse around and started heading back to the castle. Merlin climbed back on his horse and followed.

*time skip*

It was the next day and Merlin was terrified to see Arthur. He didn't say anything when they got back yesterday, just locked himself up in his room. He didn't let anyone in.

Merlin sighed as he got Arthur's breakfast and stopped in front of Arthur's door. Merlin slowly opened the door, trying not to wake Arthur just yet, to find he was already awake and up.

"A-Arthur?" Merlin stuttered in confusion. "What are you doing up?" Arthur didn't respond, he only continued to stare out his window. Merlin set down the food at his desk. "Arth-"

"You lied to me." Arthur cut him off. "All this time, you've been lying to me. All this time, you had magic."

"I only used it for you Arthur, only ever for you." Merlin tried to reason.