11

Yoongi

"Yoongi, Hoseok's here!"

I glance up from my phone at Jae's voice, letting out a breath as I force myself out of bed, slipping into the living room to find Hoseok perched on the edge of the sofa, grinning at me.

"Jae said he met Jimin?"

I glare at Jae, walking over to the fridge, leaning down to grab a water, and Hoseok laughs behind me.

"He came over after work the other day, huh?"

I turn, frowning. "Just for a drink." Hoseok's face lights up and I shake my head, knowing what he's about to say. "A warm drink. Tea. It was cold."

"Mhm." Hoseok smirks at me, flopping into the sofa cushions. "You ready to admit you like him?"

Jae grins. "They were really cute, Yoongi was so red and - "

"I don't like Jimin." I sit down on the floor across from the sofa, opening my water, ignoring Hoseok's grin. "He's my friend."

Jae chuckles, moving to sit next to Hoseok. "You were so red around him, Yoongi."

"I wasn't." I open my phone, scrolling through my messages, taking another sip of water. "It's not like - "

I choke, spitting out my water, coughing as my eyes fall on a new message, an unknown number.

(XXX)867-5309
Hey Yoon, this is Jimin! Hoseok gave me your number.

I cough harder, looking up, giving Hoseok what I hope is a betrayed look as I sputter for air. "You - gave him my number?"

Hoseok's concerned look shifts, a grin growing on his lips. "Is that why you're choking?"

I glower at him, turning my eyes to my phone, reading the message again, hating the anxiety growing in the pit of my stomach. He's going to expect me to answer.

"He asked me for it, so I figured it was fine," Hoseok grins at me, and I almost choke again, setting down my water bottle.

"Wow, he asked Hoseok for your number?" Jae shoots me a grin. "Even if you say you don't like him, it seems like he definitely - "

"Don't say it," I interrupt quietly, my head whirling as I stare at the ten words on the screen, picturing the eye smile as he typed it. "Damn it," I say softly, and Hoseok laughs lightly.

"What are you going to reply? What did he say?"

I shrug slightly, biting my lip, and Hoseok frowns slightly, slipping off of the sofa to sit next to me. "What's wrong?"

I shake my head, unsure what to reply, the words sounding odd every way I try to put them mentally, and Hoseok leans over to rest his chin on my shoulder. "You're worried about this Jimin thing, aren't you?"

I shrug slightly, and Hoseok pulls away to rest his arm over my shoulders. "You know, Jimin's a great guy. I think that you'd be really happy with him."

"We're not together," I say finally, the uncertainty of this all threatening to overwhelm me. "He - he doesn't even - " I stop, unsure what I was going to say, the words feeling wrong in my mouth.

"You don't know if he likes you or not until you ask," Hoseok says, turning to look at me. "It's scary, and uncertain, and new, but it could be amazing, Yoongs."

I let out a breath, hating how afraid I am, the panic rising in my chest at the thought of something, anything, more than friendship with this blonde, bright, happy boy.

"I wasn't trying to push you too far," Hoseok says, resting his arm over my shoulders again. "Just far enough that you'll take a chance on him."

I nod slightly, letting him hug me, pulling away after a moment. "What..."

Hoseok tilts his head quizzically, his eyes eager, and I let out a breath, looking away.

"What should I reply?"

I can hear the grin in Hoseok's voice, the light laughter of his tone as he replies.

"Maybe just start with hello."

~

We all need a Hoseok in our lives, I think.

Thanks for reading!!